The new sidekick

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

seventhcross

The new sidekick

Post by seventhcross »

so, has anyone figured out the mechanics for the new sidekick? I see he has a max level, but no current level, does anyone know if it is based on your characters level? If not, has anyone figured out how long it takes to level him up?

Also, feel free to post any impressions of him/her/it and the college.
Cristiona

Re: The new sidekick

Post by Cristiona »

Sidekicks don't have levels. Heroes do.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
seventhcross

Post by seventhcross »

Cristiona wrote:Sidekicks don't have levels. Heroes do.
so, that explains why there is no level shown on the stat table for him. It does kinda seem odd that you get him one level before he maxes out though. I guess we'll have to transmog to really get him good and spaded then!
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

This is also going to be a "first ascension" type thing. Later times through (and I know I don't have that yet) you'll have the sidekick all the way through.
seventhcross

Post by seventhcross »

sounds good, can't wait to find out if he's as good as the other sidekicks or not.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

It's a whole new design space, so I would assume more options will eventually show their faces.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

Voice wrote:I'm wondering if the various versions of the sidekick will have different avatars, since right now it's just a question mark.
It really does scream for a picture frame equivalent.

Although I'm guessing it's easier to get the TH style on an avatar right than it is to get it on something the size of the sidekick's image.
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Yeah, that's still kinda being debated, how to handle the picture.
the SUPERnaturalist

Post by the SUPERnaturalist »

well the new sidekick definitely acts less and does less damage when i'm at a lower level, but i'm too lazy to spade it

also, why not just display a dollar sign for +item understudy, karate belt for karate understudy, etc, since to fit a face or figure in there would either look weird or too blurry
=D
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

A couple of the existing sidekicks have faces that don't look that bad.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Ryme wrote:Yeah, that's still kinda being debated, how to handle the picture.
If you need help... y'know...
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

BongBob wrote:Use a normal face for the vanilla version and add stuff to it depending on the flavor? E.g. head band for karate master.
I didn't see that one. That's actually a pretty good idea.
Hannahmaus

Post by Hannahmaus »

Same here, great idea BongBob. BongBob's own avatar is a good example of TH-style art working really well at depicting a person in avatar size. I'm loving the new sidekicks, it's a brilliant addition to the game and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Impossible to determine from 4 words. What are your standards for "useful"? Undoubtedly this is a subjective discussion anyway.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

incarnate wrote:Aren't sidekicks kinda useless?
Off topic, but that's a name I haven't seen in a VERY long time. Are you KckKryptonite? THE KckKryptonite?
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

incarnate wrote:My standards for "useful" is the definition of the word itself as determined by the opinion of the individual of course, which, by nature, one can only assume to be subjective; I though I could omit this presumption. Aside from my own experience with it (which, I'll admit is not much), I was just trying to get a meter, that's why it came in the form of a question.
That doesn't really answer the question.

What metric are you using to define "useful" in this particular case? Do you want items? Sidekicks are useful. Do you want additional damage? Sidekicks are useful. Do you want chips? Sidekicks are useful. Do you want damage absorption? Sidekicks are useful. Do you want damage prevention? Sidekicks are useful. Do you want turn duration reduction? Sidekicks are useful. Do you want bonus XP? Sidekicks are useful.

Indeed, just about every aspect of the game can be affected by sidekicks.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I love my smuggler sidekick. He gets me more item drops than if I weren't using him. Therefore, he is useful.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

incarnate wrote:Right now I don't find them all that great, but I am at a really low level.
If the ingame player "incarnate" is you, I see you're currently level 5.
Later on, you'll get a permanent sidekick and more temporary sidekick options.
Don't say mountains are short if you've never been out of Kansas.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

incarnate wrote:I wasn't trying to. Have you read my post? A simple "No, they aren't" would've sufficed, it just threw me off when he asked me how I measure "useful".

"Hey, was that movie good?"
"Ahem, how do you measure good?"
"In inches"

"Dude, that printer is useless"
"Well how do you measure that? It might have been broken for 5 years and missing a few pieces but we can still use it as a paperweight"
I think you took my question the wrong way. It was intended as, "well, what do you want to do?" If your answer is PvP, then I'd say yeah, sidekicks can't help you. If your answer was "get lots of items" then I'd say there's several sidekicks that help in that respect. If you said something else, then it depends.

As for "is that movie good?" ... I'm very likely to follow up with "well, what kind of movies do you like? Because it's a chick flick, so if you like that kind of thing it's great but if not stay away." Until I know someone well enough to know what they like, I'm far more likely to ask for their tastes than to give my opinion as the definitive answer.

Or "that printer is useless." "Hm, that's weird, I print to it every day. What's not working, that you'd call it useless?"
Satan

Post by Satan »

Sidekicks aren't a "Win" button. The aren't going to double your item drops or make you invincible.
>.> Actually <.<
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

I was just going to say something like what Satan said :) If indeed the smuggler is 45-50% like it seems, with proper items it can almost double your item drop. AND it makes you close to invincible with a bit of thinking. It's as close to a win button we have in the game.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Man, incarnate, you're a cranky fella, aren't ya?