forum trade?

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

the SUPERnaturalist

forum trade?

Post by the SUPERnaturalist »

is there a market or anything players can advertise and discuss transactions in? I think satan's doing a good job spading and buying seals, but apparently it got locked by Mana. There's really no other place in the forum to even advertise trade of any kind,and this one seems the most appropriate.
=D
Ryme
Site Admin

Re: forum trade?

Post by Ryme »

Forums are good for keeping pertinent information for long durations with slow non-real-time interaction. Trades work best for short-term, real-time interaction and become obsolete immediately afterwards. As such, there really isn't a good reason to put trades on the forums. You'll get much better results in the trade channel in chat and maybe by posting desired items on your profile.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

I've thought a bit about this, and here are some solid reasons.

1. The reason Ryme stated.
2. If everyone starts to make a forum thread for what they want, that'll get extremely messy.
3. If everyone starts making forum threads to trade "for their cause" it'll get even messier. I don't want to put down spading or anything, but you could've switched around the words in Satan's sentence faster than I can say Mad Libs for any number of dubious causes. Mainly giveaways, charities and banks. Or even "poor newbie", as I suspect the rules will get bent around anyways.
Satan

Post by Satan »

I disagree that you'd get better results in the trade channel. Given that there are 600 somewhat items now, and that there aren't enough players to provide a solid stream of even most of them, and that there are less people in trade than in normal at any given time in general, and there are few people in /chat/ in general, the odds you'll find something when you're able to be on are very slim. The forums would allow for the request to atleast stay visible until someone noticed it. Until/if we get an in-game system that would allow for that, we have to keep on spamming trade and occasionally normal just to get an item. I think spading is a different thing, so how about I set up something on my own hosting that would do the same thing, get the word out when we need something for spading, and make a post here about that off-site thing if people wanted to contribute? You can't say that any type of scam is going to take place now that we even have a secure trading system :/
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

I disagree that you'll get better results in the forums. There are far fewer concurrent people reading forums than are people on chat, in trade. You just have to look harder. Ask Malk for some tips.

And no, like I said, no. Just because you're spading doesn't mean you get special priority. The biggest reason is that having priorities is extremely abusable, because next thing you know, everyone's spading!

That is, if you do anything here. Setting up an offsite thing might be allowed. That's up to Ryme. But running it through the forums, I know, is not allowed.
Satan

Post by Satan »

That's why I said an off-site thing, with just a post about it on here.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

I can't see anything illegal with that, as long as no one tried to imitate you.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I have to side with Magi and Ryme on this one.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

No need for voicing of opinion at this point. Satan is working on an offsite solution.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

So, we aren't entitled to our own opinions anymore?
:twisted:
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Har har har. From now on, this place is an outright dictatorship.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

"Sieg heil, Magi!"
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Ryme, you've got a challenger.

>.>

<.<

Who, me? Nope.
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

Ryme wrote:...and maybe by posting desired items on your profile.
Or putting them in your forum sig? I would guess Cris got some trucks that way.
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
Satan

Post by Satan »

I've got schematics drawn up for a super-kickass trading board. To list a few features, search by item name/item id, multi-sort by item type (with IotM/donation, UR, semi-rare, has combines, and has components as special sorting options), sort by buying/selling, sort by player posting, etc. There's some pretty extensive work put in on allowing complex trading requests that will still allow for sortability in searches, but that means there'll have to be strict/loose search options. I.E., if you /only/ wanted X item, you'd have to pick strict to keep a post for X item /and/ Y item from showing up. Etc. It's all very neat stuff. Can't predict when I'll actually finish coding it, but I'll make a new thread for it when it's finished.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Yeah, sig is fine, too. The beauty of the sig is it changes everywhere when you change it, so it's appropriate for rapid changes. Just stay within sig guidelines -- which I've forgotten -- but that means a couple of lines of text and not a shopping list.