Sugar idea

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Unfortunately we mods can't merge yet until Ryme switches to phpBB v3. But we will once it happens so hang on tight.

Also, seems like a fairly logical step for Ryme to take. Maybe boost the gains to 15-20 maybe, instead. I think he was talking about last night, even.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

A couple of people have talked to me about donuts, and I agree that it's an important piece of sugar to include. One of the reasons I haven't yet is because I haven't decided whether it'd be better to just have a few options, or to make is a full-blown crafting setup: start with the base, pick filling, pick glaze, pick extra stuff (sprinkles, say), and put it all together.

I could see crafting being fun, but I could also see it being something that's kind of overkill. Especially since sugar doesn't have that great of a range in values--two boston cremes with sprinkles are going to max out your sugar and only give you maybe an extra five minutes over eating six donut holes. Does the flavor (pun intended) of the process really give anyone enough enjoyment to make it worth hours of coding that could be spent on, say, making part of another quest?

Also, there's the matter of realism. Donuts are so prevalent in the real world, I think many people would have trouble with the suspension of disbelief required to position donuts as an expensive or difficult item to acquire.

So that's why I've been sitting on the idea for a while. When I get a lot of one hand/other hand/third hand scenarios, I like to just let them sit for a while, until either one wins out, I get inspired, or some other idea intersects with it and gives me what I needed to make it work.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Seems that having Donut Crafting would be a pretty neat thing. You could buy the ingredients from the Scuzzy Convenience Store at the University, and put them together using your Mini USB-Powered Hot Plate in your hideout. With multiple crafting included, it would be relatively easy to whip up a month's supply of donuts. It would add more to the hideout, be a (very) minor chip sink, and could be reasonably fun, especially if they fell in somewhere between Eyeball Gumballs and STROOPWAFEL.

Actually, it could even use a Recyclonizer-style interface where you toss in all your ingredients, and pick what you want. Could be quite handy in a retcon environment where you don't have Stroop access, but want something better than gumballs.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Stroop access.

Huh.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

A more feasible way of setting this up would be sort of like a Recyclonizer and computer mixup, where you just need supplies to create said donuts. Sort of like the staff maker in KoL. Just bring all the supplies and make them all at once.

Maybe you should have some recipes based on several items at once besides the computers? Or reimplement that, because it could be really neat?
the SUPERnaturalist

Post by the SUPERnaturalist »

or have donuts be a completely nonsugar mechanism

you try to gobble down another Soggy Creme(tm) donut, but you stop yourself just in time to tell yourself to stop indulging so much, after all, one should only have so many donuts in a single day.
=D
Satan

Post by Satan »

I'm pretty sure Ryme doesn't want to make /another/ consumption type :p
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Why not? KoL has 3. It's possible to finagle a new one in.
Satan

Post by Satan »

3? I've been gone too long I guess. I remember... Food and Booze...
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Spleen.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

If we're going to add a third type, I would say methamphetamines or other stimulating drugs. Donuts are too close to sugar to deserve their own category.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

Agreed.

And that stuff could be /real/ black market items.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Thematically: Why is a super hero doing drugs? Caffeine's one thing, but meth? Also, that's kind of a bad model to set. Not to mention Ryme wants to keep the game relatively safe for minors, yeah?
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Well, Underdog was a dope-fiend. Technically, so was Captain America, and Tony Stark was a lush. I mean, substance abuse isn't unheard of when it comes to super heroes. And we already have White Pills...
Satan

Post by Satan »

And the white pills also have a bad side-effect and aren't good enough to really be considered over most other easy methods. Just saying, a whole 3rd category with items like that wouldn't really be impressive. The model thing is a serious issue, though. I'm not saying anyone who'd do meth would get their start from TH, of course. It just... seems kinda idiotic to me. Probably because I know lots of people, including family members, who have been on meth and all kinds of other drugs.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Yeah, drugs aren't really advisable, I'm sure. Maybe something else that can have as much intricacy (through chemical mixing)?

In any case, Ryme could just go the "special way of making stuff" for sugar/caffeine, like sushi in KoL.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Or, all of them could have effects like Utter Wretchedness. You takes your chances and you pays your dues.
Satan

Post by Satan »

I forget what the exact turn per day maximum is right now, haven't kept up with the best stuffs or calculated the possibility with the new sugar stuff, but I think more could be put into making new items for caffeine scene... Haven't had much for it in awhile since the exigen's, and they're already infeasible in price pretty much.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Voice wrote:Like I said, donuts could have their own "crafting" segment like sushi, but again like I said... sushi seems to have been met with general discontent.
Probably because sushi was created as a way to make players jump through dozens of hoops to get a horribly broken familiar. Once you have your dragonfly fish (or whatever it's called), there's no reason to ever eat sushi again. If donuts were made to be roughly the quality of sugar substitute, there would be plenty of reason to use them just for that.

After all, hi meins have a special crafting mechanism and they're a staple of high-end consumption.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Satan wrote:I forget what the exact turn per day maximum is right now, haven't kept up with the best stuffs or calculated the possibility with the new sugar stuff, but I think more could be put into making new items for caffeine scene... Haven't had much for it in awhile since the exigen's, and they're already infeasible in price pretty much.
This, this and this, Mr. Lazy.
Satan

Post by Satan »

I was more talking about like, time reduction on turns. I know about the shoehorn, but I don't know if any of the other new items had it.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Come on Satan. You go tell me to use the wiki and you can't use it yourself? Stop asking for help. This.

Basically, "hammer time".
Satan

Post by Satan »

I didn't say I wasn't going to look them up eventually. I'll get to it when I get around to making all the new items.