Blu-ray questions

Off-topic posts about whatever, including off-the-wall posts about being on walls.

Moderator: Moderators

Harry Dresden

Blu-ray questions

Post by Harry Dresden »

So I got a Blu-ray player for Christmas, and I've got a couple of questions.

Should it really take 10-15 seconds for the tray to open every time I want to put in/take out a disk?

Why does the fast forward/rewind not advance smoothly like a regular DVD player?

Why does the pause feature not have some sort of incremental advance? Fight Club was one of the first movies I watched on this thing, and I couldn't pause to see the Tyler Durden 1/10th of a second appearances throughout the movie.

Are these normal issues, or did I get some kind of a dud? Thanks guys.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

GET A HORSE!
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

I asked for a pony, but they got me a stupid Blu-ray player instead. :cry:
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

What Blu-Ray player was it? They say that the PS3 is by far the best quality for your money. If you got one cheaper then it very well could be a dud
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

It's one of the Sony models, so it shouldn't be a quality issue. I'm just wondering if I need to take it in and exchange it.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Get a slide projector; those have single-frame advancement.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
Corrupt Shadow

Re: Blu-ray questions

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Harry, I bought a SONY Blu-Ray player as well, so let me take a shot at answering these.
Harry Dresden wrote:Should it really take 10-15 seconds for the tray to open every time I want to put in/take out a disk?
Mine takes that long as well... not to mention the load time for the menu's... :roll:
Harry Dresden wrote:Why does the fast forward/rewind not advance smoothly like a regular DVD player?
I never really use the FF/RW buttons, so I can't comment. If I do, I must not notice anything.
Harry Dresden wrote:Why does the pause feature not have some sort of incremental advance?
I'm pretty sure mine does. Have you tried pressing pause again?
Harry Dresden wrote:Are these normal issues, or did I get some kind of a dud?
It seems to be normal with my SONY as well.

Also, what sucks is that my Blu-Ray player has a higher resolution than my TV, so EVERY movie STILL has the black bars on the top and bottom. Irritates me.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Aren't the bars because of aspect ratio? In other words, regardless of the resolution on your TV, it'll have bars it the movie is widescreen and the TV isn't.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Glad you've had most of the same issues, CS. Makes me feel better, even though I think a new, "superior" DVD player should be working faster and not slower.

Once a movie is paused, if I hit the pause button again it doesn't seem to do anything. I'll play around with that feature some more when I think about it. Seems like every movie I rent lately is such crap that I'm turning it off after about 10 minutes, anyway.