recipe contest: ends 11-18

Off-topic posts about whatever, including off-the-wall posts about being on walls.

Moderator: Moderators

Dex-Trope

A Dex-Trope films presentation....

Post by Dex-Trope »

Ahh, guess I better get my idea up before it bites me in the rear and I end up not posting an idea at all. Some pretty fun ideas so far!

8MM

Weld: Flashlight and Digital Voice Recorder

Text: "You get out the welding torch, some solder, and some previously unmentioned, miscellaneous parts from your equally previously unmentioned attic, and weld the two items together. Super-duper to the Max!"

Would be interesting to make it equip-able of equipment or offhand, with an effect of an item increase. If an item's found after a battle, it'd also grant an additional 3 xp. Thus, the amount it increases xp would directly affect the frequency of the secondary effect. I'm thinking +4%.

Usage text. "While watching grainy footage of yourself in action from a few seconds ago, you notice $item fall out of your opponent's pocket and out of sight. You track it down. You gain an additional xp from finding it. And an extra 2 more exp from the depressing knowledge that the camera's putting on more than the 5 pounds you expected."

The "Super Duper to the Max" is an obvious reference to types of 8MM film.

Hope ya like! Goodluck to ya all!

Dex-Trope the Twilight Trooper
Satan

Post by Satan »

arrggg wrote:Ducktape + any Gloves
"Sticky Bandits" Gloves
(From Home Alone 2:
Harry and Marv (Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern), the "Wet Bandits" from the first film, have broken out of prison in Chicago and have found their way to New York trying to find a new target. Marv also comes up with a new nickname for the duo, the "Sticky Bandits", based on his ability to steal things with the use of double-sided tape.)
Power: 1
+(3-5)% Items
Errr... I'mma go ahead and point out that there already is a duct tape + gloves combo. I think it's leather gloves. Duct tape + leather gloves = sticky gloves, which gives (I believe) 3% items. :/
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Heh. Sometimes great minds think alike. Or argg cheated off of the wiki. A lie detector test should sort this out.

There's also a gumshoe effect in the game already, too.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Posting for another mysteeeeeeeeeeeeeerious chat denizen...
baggy cargo pants + electronic cabling

discount pants
These pants, let’s not mention the “belt”, look and are very cheap, but that’s not why they’re called discount pants. Everything that happens to find its way into one of the many, many pockets of these oversized pants comes with a big discount. And somehow, perhaps the sheer number of pockets creates a kind of “gravity”, a lot of things end up in your pockets.
All the free stuff in your pants is kinda getting in the way of walking, though.

+# % item-drop
-# % reflexes
-# % initiative
(and yes, I have contact info for both of these people)
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
zillow

Post by zillow »

Smokey Pack
Combine Backpack with roman candle wand
Miscellaneous Item
Usable
(When used could get chip peice, charred medkit, Dr. Stolls burnt holes, and burning water, or whatever you think is cool.)

As smoke pours out from all the openings in the pack and you begin to think... maybe I shouldn't have put that wand in there. You run to your hideout before Smokey the Bear sees the smoke and to decide whether to open the pack or not.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Make either work gloves or black gloves firecrackerable into fingerless gloves and gloveless fingers.

Possible item desc:
While offering somewhat less protection against damage than their peers, these gloves provide significantly more protection against typing errors.

Enchantments are increased criticals and decreased fumbles (or no fumbles), but the power is a couple lower than the glove it comes from.

For the gloveless fingers, they can be gloves (or maybe offhand?) with the power that was "removed" from the fingerless gloves.

And of course, the gloveless fingers and fingerless goves combine back into the original gloves.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
The Leopard

Post by The Leopard »

Official Entry:

robbin' hood

Combine a "capo cap-o" and an "eagle feather"
A hat that gives increased accuracy and damage with ranged weapons, and extra percent chips.

Other unofficial (semi-serious) ideas:

decorated jerkin + leather jacket = beef jerkin (Shirt, +HP)
smoldering ash + bodice = hot bodice (Shirt, attacker takes fire damage)
flashlight + digital saber = flash lightsaber (Be like sci-fi hero Luke Skywater)
spiked gloves + Krakatoa punch = spiked punch (Okay, maybe not)
harmonica + laser cannon= Pachelbel's Cannon (ranged, sonic damage)
seal o' canth + ethereal club = seal club (You try to bash open the can with the club, but end up destroying them both. A passerby sees you destroying an implement of torture to his animal friends and gives you an invitation to join the Seal Club. Gives a seal sidekick)

Thanks,
The Leopard
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Razmos wrote:Kitty Costume + Speedo's with a tail = Cat Suit

"Who knows why you would make this, nevermind wear it.
Heheheh... this amuses me.

The Leopard wrote:harmonica + laser cannon= Pachelbel's Cannon (ranged, sonic damage)
Also, this is pure awesome.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Hannahmaus

Post by Hannahmaus »

Cristiona wrote:
The Leopard wrote:harmonica + laser cannon= Pachelbel's Cannon (ranged, sonic damage)
Also, this is pure awesome.
Totally agree, I love that idea, it's just... inspired!
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Contest closed. Give me a couple of days for judging.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Okay, here's the results.

First, I want to say this was tough. There are a LOT of recipes here that I really liked. In fact, I may use and/or adapt nearly half of them at some point. Thanks to everyone who entered -- I laughed out loud at a number of these, and had fun reading them.

Grossest entry goes to reaper for the pinkeye gumball. It's funny, but .... I just can't make someone eat that, not even in an imaginary world.

From the "it's a shame it wasn't their first entry" category, come several that I might have considered if they fit the rules better or were the first recipe. Clever recipes, good references, funny, or great names, these are good suggestions, but weren't quite right.

Flasher's coat, Quijote's spear, Hammer time, whole life & Tri-Lambda pin, and Pachelbel's cannon.

Honorable mentions:
Ivory Coast Ginger Beer, Robbin' Hood, Discount Pants, and the Futility belt. The ginger beer is a good recipe, the robbin' hood is VERY easy to visualize, the pants are funny, and the futility belt has been something I've been meaning to do for a while (not sure if Jesus was the originator or just happened to hit on something that's been mentioned previously).

Top prize goes to:
LXNDR for golden apple + lottery ticket = golden ticket

Clever recipe, excellent reference, and good use of a new game mechanic that has lots of room for expansion.

Second prize goes to:
Olaf for fingerless gloves + gloveless fingers = gloves

This one is a bit of a stretch, but it's very funny and a clever play on both a modern cliche and a good use of the firecracker.

Third prize goes to:
Zillow for backpack + roman candle wand = smokey pack

This one just made me laugh. Also, it's a good way to introduce joke items, and they're always fun.

Conclusion:

I'll need at least a few days to start creating the items. Winners will get their prizes, which will be announced here as soon as I remember to decide what they're supposed to be. (This is bad form, and I apologize; nobody else would be allowed to run a contest without stipulating the complete prize, and I shouldn't have been either.)

If I use anyone else's exact recipe later on, I'll give 50 of that item to the inventor, too, as stipulated at the beginning of the contest.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Congrats, guys. Heh heh heh.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Woo! I was rooting or the pinkeye, actually.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
Dex-Trope

Congratulations to all

Post by Dex-Trope »

Congratulations to the winners and honorable mentions too. It was fun to read and I'm lookin' forward to seeing how they look when they make it into the game.

I hope we get another one of these types of contests someday :)

JD
Lxndr

Post by Lxndr »

Awesome! I won! Thank you, Ryme, and thanks for the congratulations.
Alexander Cherry
Twisted Confessions
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Sorry it took me so many ages to get around to adding these items, but the prizes have been awarded. Each of the top 3 has received 50 of the invented item. On top of that, prizes are as follows:

First prize:
100 golden powders
5 rainwaters (which will be implemented one of these days, I swear)

Second prize:
50 lustrous liquids
5 rainwaters

Third prize:
25 russet lumps
5 rainwaters

The top 3 recipes are in the game, though I'm still working on joke items from the smoky pack, which may take a while, but I didn't want to wait any longer than necessary.

I'll probably also be adding other recipes from the contest soon-ish, because there's a lot of good ones.

Thanks again to all the contestants: got some excellent ideas from this, and I love seeing everyone being funny and creative. Good stuff!
Jesus

Re: recipe contest: ends 11-18

Post by Jesus »

The Bard's Play + Mourning Star

Epic Flail

This thing looked good on paper, but holding it in your hand all you can think of is "You'll shoot your eye out, kid." You can't really shoot your eye out with it, although something tells you that you can come close.

+10 Melee damage
Critical hits become fumbles
Sometimes returns 5% of weapon damage as damage to you

Someone has to have had the idea, but a board search said no one had used the word "flail".
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

<3
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Jesus wrote:Critical hits become fumbles
Ouch... I'd never use it just because of that.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

lol, loving it
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Corrupt Shadow wrote:
Jesus wrote:Critical hits become fumbles
Ouch... I'd never use it just because of that.
I'd use it to crash the game.

Score crit!
Epic Flail makes it a fumble!
Self-Balancing makes it a crit!
Game crashes and Ryme kills me dead!
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

Heh. It's value could be given as "priceless", but when you try to sell it... "It turns out that it's only worth one million theoretical chips. No one actually wants to give you anything for it."

And it could have a "discard" link... "You slip the flail into an inconspicuous nook and try to stealthily walk away, but a few seconds later a helpful citizen trots up to you and returns it. No matter how hard you try, no one will let you forget your Epic Flail."
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

This just gets better and better...
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

So, um, it's only been, what, more than half a year? Anyway, the smoky pack actually does something now. Really sorry it took so darn long, hopefully it's worth the wait. I think the stuff that came out of this contest was a fantastic success. Really good stuff. I should probably do another round of culling from the entries for some more fun goods.