Guitar Hero vs. Real Guitar

Off-topic posts about whatever, including off-the-wall posts about being on walls.

Moderator: Moderators

Corrupt Shadow

Guitar Hero vs. Real Guitar

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I've never played, but why not just learn to play the guitar for REAL...?

<<Split from here. - Therum>>
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

To answer your question moreso than Therum did, Guitar Hero isn't a Guitar sim. It's a video game. You don't get a score when you finish a song with a guitar. And when guitarists play the game, they're trying as hard as they can to dismiss it as stupid, and will play a few songs on easy. Now people who don't play guitar simply enjoy the novelty of "playing guitar," so they continue to play. This is how it was for me. But I picked up real guitar after getting to hard, and enjoy both. But on hard and especially expert, the game changes entirely. Take Through the Fire and the Flames for instance. I've played that song A LOT. Because I love getting my score up, and perfecting it. You don't get a multiplier in real guitar. That's the thing, people who play real guitar dismiss it when playing through easy a little. So before you say "go learn to play real guitar instead," get to hard, maybe even expert, and tell me how much you like it, and whether or not you still feel like you're wasting your time.

That is all.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Therum wrote:Maybe because playing Guitar Hero and playing real guitar are two entirely seperate things that aren't even all that similar?
That's my point. Instead of spending so much time playing this game, buy a real guitar and learn to play it. Then, you can impress people by playing songs without the help of a gaming system and and a television.

THAT was my point.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

How does that not make sense? It's completely logical.

-You should play the guitar.
-The guitar and Guitar Hero aren't the same.

Your comment had nothing to do with the logic behing my comment. Whether or not you agree has nothing to do with my completely logical comment. Just because you people don't agree with a comment doesn't make the comment itself illogical and "stupid".

Grow the hell up, guys. :roll:
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Corrupt Shadow wrote:-You should play the guitar.
-The guitar and Guitar Hero aren't the same.
I think the point is that, since they are different, bringing up real guitar is irrelevant.

"I like Guitar Hero."
"You should play a real guitar."
"They're different things."
"You should still play a real guitar."

"I like Guitar Hero."
"You should play a trumpet."
"You should still play a trumpet."

"I like Guitar Hero."
"You should play chess."
"You should still play chess."

"I like Guitar Hero."
"You should build a house."
"You should still build a house."

If they're different things, and you agree that they're different things, then why bring up the guitar at all? It's a non-sequitur, by your own admission. Since it's a non-sequitur, the only reason to bring it up is to denigrate people who play Guitar Hero (note: I have never played, and have no interest in it), and to imply they think it's something it isn't.

If I started a thread talking about Ace Combat 6, would you tell me to play the guitar? Would you tell me to join the Air Force and become a real fighter pilot so I could "impress people by [flying jets] without the help of a gaming system and [...] a television"?
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Guitar Hero is similar to the guitar. Chess, the trumpet, and building a house are NOT similar to Guitar Hero.

Making that comparison is irrelivent.

Guitar Hero mimicks the guitar. My point simply being this: instead of playing a game that mimicks the guitar and learning how to play the song on a "guitar" that uses buttons and a gaming system, why not just learn to play the songs on a REAL guitar and learn a new skill?

My God! Why is that so hard to comprehend?

[Side Note: If you could fly the jet, I would be more impressed then whether you could play a jet-flying game.]
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

"Similar" is not "same".

Forget it. No point trying to be logical with people who are reading far too much into a simple, damn comment.

Geez...
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I was going to drop it, but fine.

"Right" and "wrong" differ from point of view.

Defining right and wrong is impossible unless it's been scientifically proven by empirical means. Guitar Heroes vs. the Guitar is far from being scientifically proven.

Just because I've never played doesn't mean I lack the knowlege. I know how it's played and the mechanics behind it. I've watched people play it. I'm not stupid.

I'm not admiting a damn thing. I don't think I'm wrong. I made a simple friggin' comment, and you all freaked out about it.

I will say this one more time and drop it: learning to do anything FOR REAL (as opposed to learning to play it in real life) is better and more impressive. Some things are hard to learn in real life. The guitar is not. My question was why not just learn to play the friggin' guitar for real and learn a new skill? My initial comment was meant to pose an the concept of learning the real guitar instead of spending so much time to playing the game.

I, for one, play Mario games alot. If it were possible to become a plumber who goes to a Mushroom Kingdom to fight a large dragon-like monster who's captured a Princess, that'd be different. That is impossible. Playing the guitar is not.

I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of brick walls.
cromulentia

Post by cromulentia »

i never knew people had such strong opinions about guitar hero until this little thread came along. how about we all agree to disagree about GH vs. real guitar? has any real progress been made other than everyone saying the corruptshadow is wrong and apparently delusional? not really. this isn't really that big of a deal, folks. cs had an opinion on the game guitar hero, and he shared it. isn't that kind of what forums are for? being able to share opinions and thoughts?
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

cromulentia wrote:i never knew people had such strong opinions about guitar hero until this little thread came along
You'd be surprised. After Yahtzee reviewed GH3, the thread for that video was full of people bitching about real guitars and people bitching at the bitchers.

I'm sure it's been going on since the first was released.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

I see where CS is coming from. Personally I HATE it when people make the comparison, but his logic makes much more sense than saying "Go fly a plane instead of playing Ace Combat." It's a little more reasonable to play guitar in your spare time as opposed to video games than to fly a plane in your spare time as opposed to video games. It's all about which one you enjoy more. Personally, I'd rather play Guitar Hero III than play real guitar. Therefore I will probably play more Guitar Hero III than real guitar. But some people would rather play guitar than play Guitar Hero. What would you do if I said "Why play real guitar? Instead of wasting your time doing that, you could be having more fun playing Guitar Hero." Be reasonable people, this doesn't need to turn into a flame-war.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

I think the stance of where people are coming from on this is that playing a guitar takes much more time (relative of course, but just saying) than loading up GH. That and GH is pretty much instant full on song playing. Not to mention much easier to grasp than learning a real guitar. Probably.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Oh trust me. It's a tad easier.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

Okay, after playing Guitar Hero III (for the Wii), I will recant and say that it was a pretty entertaining game.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the best game ever, but it was fun. I did hear that Rock Star is a better game though...

While I know I'm not playing the real songs, I feel like I'm rockin' out. It makes me want to learn the real songs... if only I didn't have huge gorilla paws for hands... :lol: