Minor Bugs

For to fix what's broke, and improve what ain't. Or something thereabouts.

Moderator: Moderators

Jesus

Post by Jesus »

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but...
Your opponent is damaged by your fierce defenses, and takes 11 damage.
Cannot lead to victory if you do no other damage. My fierce defenses did over 100 damage to a retro rave creature without killing it. I think those guys can take about 40.
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Yeah, it's been mentioned. My "narrative justification" is that most opponents won't actually incapacitate themselves on your defenses trying to fight you. You've gotta do some damage yourself. The numbers don't quite make sense, I do realize.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Perhaps there should be some floor to how much "extra" damage it can take? Relating to the enemy level and/or HP or something...
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ryme wrote:Yeah, it's been mentioned. My "narrative justification" is that most opponents won't actually incapacitate themselves on your defenses trying to fight you. You've gotta do some damage yourself. The numbers don't quite make sense, I do realize.
Shouldn't they stop hitting you, then? They should stand there passively until you finally land a blow >_>
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

I find it hard to believe that spines can't impale and incapacitate an enemy. Or that a fiery shield can't burn an enemy. etc.
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

The problem is that it's hard to imagine defenses damage making a difference with higher level encounters, while at the lower level fatal defense damage is likely to come only after the player misses a lot. It's frustrating to miss a lot, and seeing a creature take damage that should kill it isn't exactly helpful.

I understand wanting a player to come up with some offense of their own, but then of the four classes, Elementals start with a skill that always hits... Psions get one quickly... and Gadgeteers get one eventually. Only Naturalists are left out in the cold -- all they can do is try to hit things, and if they can't hit, it's not going to die.

One more thing -- if fatal defense damage is dealt to a creature on the same round you hit it yourself, then it won't die. Today, I killed at IT wizard with 51 damage [ice bolt only]... then later failed to kill one when it was dealt 70 damage in one round [ice bolt + defense].
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Jesus wrote:I understand wanting a player to come up with some offense of their own, but then of the four classes, Elementals start with a skill that always hits... Psions get one quickly... and Gadgeteers get one eventually.
Yes, but the Gadgeteer ones doesn't scale. When fighting robots with 2000+ HP, a 13 damage grenade isn't especially helpful...
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

I know, I've been in that boat (I thought a shock grenade would have worked better against robots...) The point is, if you absolutely, positively need to hit something, Naturalists are the only class with no guarantee.

Of course, everyone can sling enerbun around, but you can't equip something to give you that back per turn.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Or use just about any other combat item, really. Most are guaranteed damage.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Hm. Sometimes, people who have logged off still show up on /who, even hours later. My guess is that it happens when they close their browser without logging off.

Not sure if there's an easy fix, but... there ya go.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Not sure if this is a bug, or just a weird result of how leveling works:
You gain a level!

You gain 11 hit points. You gain 9 power points.

Your intellect increases by 6 points.
Your reflexes increase by 9 points.

You get an adrenaline rush!
No strength?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Other than elementals, the other classes can possibly level up and not get any of one (or even two) stats. Just isn't statistically very common. Elementals always get some of each.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

In the new choice adventure, two of the options are linking to options elsewhere...
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Er, whoops. That wasn't supposed to be open yet. Accidentally activated it while testing something else.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Heheh. Seemed out of left field, yeah.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

PMs to an offline account look normal to the person sending them. I didn't test the other end.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I'm not sure I follow what you mean. PM's look normal? There's only one way for PM's to look, and the game doesn't have any ability to tell if you're online or not, outside of the /who function, which is only accurate to within a minute or two.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Oh, I meant that there is no signification of a person being offline.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Couch familiar icons seem to disappear from the left pane. They're still active, but I've had both Short Round and the crow image vanish when logging back in. Buffalo (and I assume wolf and warrior) seem to be unaffected by this.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Oh, right, the login script. Should be fixed.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Seems to be; thanks.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

When you hire Salvador... er... Martin, the left pane doesn't refresh.