Spelling and grammatical errors

For to fix what's broke, and improve what ain't. Or something thereabouts.

Moderator: Moderators

Cristiona

Spelling and grammatical errors

Post by Cristiona »

Report spelling and grammar errors here. Once fixed, they'll be purged from this thread to reduce clutter. Also, before reporting any such errors, keep this in mind:
Ryme wrote:Nobody is allowed to question my vocabulary without looking it up at dictionary.com first, or you will be mocked mercilessly. I use dictionary.com because I teased someone else once for not looking it up, and it turned out their dictionary really didn't have the word. But I refuse to be limited to the quality of words found in small dictionaries.
Last edited by Cristiona on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
lazyfire

Post by lazyfire »

Using the squidopus ink:
You coat yourself in the squidopus ink because, as your uncle Kurt always said, "When it's dark, be dark." You stop applying the ink when you can't see yourself anymore and accidentally poke yourself in the ribs. (Added for 40 minutes.)
The text "You gain an effect: Inky as Mother Night." is missing.
lazyfire #303
The saddest songs were wrote in minor keys
Like Johnny Marr, I want my “Please Please Please” - Jason Martin
Muhandes

Re: Spelling and grammatical errors

Post by Muhandes »

OK, here's as complete a list as I can make.

Starting with damage modifiers.
  • Spell damage is always "spell damage", no capital letter.
  • Ranged damage is almost always "Ranged damage", with capital letter. The only exception is Sniper which is "ranged damage"
  • Melee damage is sometimes with capital letter and sometimes without:
    Shark's Tooth Necklace, Sockin' it to 'Em, Upgrade Weapons: Serration, Ace Up Your Sleeve, Upgrade Weapons: Elemental, Scratch Your Eyes Out: melee damage
    saw glove, special wooden cup, Fighting Club, ham banner, lamp post, quill blade, jack boots, astral spline, Truepenny blade, Bass-O-Matic 77, warmaking baton, hammer time, Thunder in a Bottle, roller blades, spiked gloves, paper machete, peacekeeping baton: Melee damage
  • Weapon damage always goes uncapitalized. However, for items it also mentions "(ranged or melee)", which it doesn't for effects. Items with percentile weapon damage do not have this clause
Elemental damage resistance has several forms:

genuine lookalike World Series 2008 ring, Aegis Flux Incapacitor, smart suit, gloveless fingers, forcegloves, fingerless gloves: resist X damage
Biofeedback: resistance to X damage
Stone Armor, Upgrade Armor: Resistance, Tangled Up in Two, Abaddon charm, Upgrade Armor: Fireproof, hooded cloak, Livia's icicle pendant, shield of Zion, letter shirt, trylon tights, hot pants, knit cap, snug breeches, Toasty Heart, tropical fleece, polyester suit: X resistance
lab suit, noise-reducing headphones, teardrop necklace, pearl necklace, black hood, pseudo-chitin armor, Ring of Fellowship: X damage resistance

Also, the resistances are usually all in one line except for the following cases, where each resistance is on a separate line:
letter shirt, trylon tights

Bonus to hit usually goes by the following two forms. All items have it as to hit. All effects have is as to-hit. There is one exception: Cinematic has to-hit ability.

HP Regeneration usually goes by +X HP per turn, with the following exceptions:
Needs Stitches: Lose some HP/turn (scales with level). (Better: Lose some HP per turn (scales with level))
Starfish Regeneration, Aura: Vigor: Regenerates HP each turn. (Better: Gain some HP per turn)
Toasty Heart: Regenerates X HP/turn

PP Regeneration is usually +X PP per turn.
Proper Hydration: "Regenerate PP every turn" (Better: "Lose some PP per turn", which will also fit Internal Injuries: "Lose some PP per turn (scales with level)").

Regarding stat modifiers, they are capitalized for all items (Strength, Intellect, Reflexes) but non-capitalized for all effects.
Also, when all stats are modified at once, corrupt amulet, diamond, Coward's Cloak, and crib sheet have them one per line, Aqua Marine, Laaaaazyyy, and Strong Sense of Self have "to all stats".

Maximum HP goes by many different names:
Euphoria, Utter Wretchedness, Boolean: maximum HP
Well Packaged: max HP
Reed's Brassard, Angriest Man's Squeezeball of Rage, Atmos Spear (extended), Astral Monkey's Paw Necklace, Gilligan's golf club, mighty quill, genuine lookalike World Series 2009 ring, Raskolnikov's fur hat, righteous shades, Viking Games jersey: to your maximum Hit Points
Ring of Fellowship, Aegis Flux Incapacitor, silver star, trilobit, trilobyte, fullerene, shield of Zion, Ember in a Bottle, silver-plated star: to maximum HP

Maximum PP really likes variety:
Well Packaged: max PP
The Fire Within: PP capacity
Thunder in a Bottle, genuine lookalike World Series 2009 ring: to your maximum Power Points
Rayed 5: maximum PP
scale mail, silver star, fullerene, infernium gloves, digital robes, silver-plated star: to maximum PP

Waxing Nostalgic has: +4% of weapon damage is returned as PP. All other PP (and HP) returning things don't have the word "is".

When modifying initiative, items have "+X to initiative". Effects have "+X initiative".

Turn duration modifiers go by X seconds to the duration of each turn. However, not always:
Heroic Efficiency: Reduces turn length by X seconds
Old Man Walking: X seconds/turn

dodging ability is named dodging ability for items, but dodge for effects. Cinematic is unique in having dodge ability.

XP gain for items is XP per combat. For effects it is XP gain. There are exceptions even to this:
Scintillating: xp gain
In Communicado, It's in the Cards: XP/turn

Combat chance goes by Increased chance, except for:
Sinus of the Shark: Increases chance

Sidekick efficiency:
Green Thumb: benefit from sidekicks
judo kid gloves, Model T-1000: effectiveness from your sidekick.

Skill cost modifiers go by three different names:
Thunder in a Bottle: Using skills costs X PP
Aura: Mystery: X PP to the cost of combat spells
Mirror of Nitocris, illuminum gloves: X to the cost of combat spells

Extra attacks for items go by +X extra attack(s) per turn.
The only effect giving it, Keyed Up, uses +X bonus attack per turn

Foe toughness for items has a dot at the end. For effects it does not.

There is general inconsistency that some modifiers don't have a dot at the end of the line and some do. I can list them for you if you want.

That should be all of them. I hope this helps.

Edit: removed some which were corrected
Last edited by Muhandes on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:32 am, edited 25 times in total.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Satan wrote:Also, what is the definition of a dinosaur? I assumed it was all extinct 'animals' from those periods of time. Because you see so many distinct types... Why would the pterosaurs not be grouped in?
Merriam-Webster wrote: di·no·saur
Pronunciation:
\ˈdī-nə-ˌsȯr\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
New Latin Dinosaurus, genus name, from Greek deinos terrifying + sauros lizard — more at dire
Date:

1 : any of a group (Dinosauria) of extinct often very large chiefly terrestrial carnivorous or herbivorous reptiles of the Mesozoic era
2 : any of various large extinct reptiles (as ichthyosaurs) other than the true dinosaurs
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Technically, Dinosauria is a superorder and Pterosauria is an order, both belonging to the subdivision Avemetatarsalia. They are pretty close, but not the same.

As for the dictionary definition "X is one of many other than X" is silly, and I hope there aren't many like that in English, but one has to accept the dictionary definition.

Edit: the original typo was corrected, might as well remove all of the messages regarding it.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Nah, keep 'em. Like to see people bickering of what is and isn't a dinosaur. Me? I'm a dinosaur! Raaar!

We do generally have a standard in the states that definitions of words shouldn't involve using the word itself; however dictionaries, particularly online dictionaries, aren't always good at sticking to that rule. I bet Oxford English does, though.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Ryme wrote:Added the footnote about the 20% cap to effects and skills in popups.
I'm afraid not to all, and not in a consistent way.

I believe the "standard" way is "Increased chance of combat/noncombat adventures.*" (with a dot and an asterisk) and adding the note at the end.

Aura: Attractive Magnetism, Aura: Repulsive Magnetism, Inky as Mother Night, Seeking Solitude, Stealth are missing the dot and asterisk.
Hear Me Roar, Sinus of the Shark, Targeting Trouble are missing the whole thing: the dot, the asterisk, and the note.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

One more inconsistency:

The text on filthy sock puppet and handle is "No weapon fumbles, ever." while on Upgrade Weapons: Self-Balancing and Upgrade Weapons: Better Grip it's "No fumbles"
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

It's not so much of an error as it is slightly wrong :?

The reason why we can burn turns past 7 AM is that we don't work on Saturday? However, when you finish your turns, the message is the same for all other days.
Can't Fight, Too Tired
You're too worn out for the night. You've got to go home and sleep or you're not going to make it through the work day tomorrow. You don't want to get fired, do you?
Maybe a different quote for Frayday's?
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Typos related to multi-use messages:

A. Typos in multi use messages:
  • backpack: You yank open the backpacks to see what's inside, unfortunately tearing it to shreds in your enthusiasm.
  • blue/green/pink/eyeball gumball: You chew the gum until the flavor is gone and it's turned stiff and unpliable. Which is about 30 seconds.(shouldn't it take more time to chew if I use more than one?)
  • Raul Rondo's Neverhalting Stobgopper: You eat the sweet, sweet chocolate. Mmmmm, chocolate. (That's copypasta of the Raul Rondo's Transcen-dilly-endant Bar multiuse, it should be "candy", not "chocolate")
  • chocolate covered jelly: Turns out they're all the same:They tastes like... (missing a space after : and should be "taste", not tastes)
  • coffee mochi ball has a special multi use message.... which is in singular form: You eat the coffee mochi ball. You feel energized.
  • shot of espresso: You drink the cups of espresso. It's strong enough to put hair on your chest. Not really wrong, but it sounds odd. "It" refers to the espresso, not the cups. Ignore this one if it sounds correct to you
  • red bean mochi ball: You prepare to eat the red bean mochi balls, but just then a young man walks by and sees what you're doing. He asks, "Are those mochi balls? Red bean ones? Man! Those are my favorite! I'd pay some serious chips to get those right now!" You think about how good it would be to eat the mochi ball, but then you think about what you could get with the chips.
  • band-aid: You apply the band-aids to your wounds. It's not quite as soothing as having someone kiss it better, but it's close.
  • summoning cone (additional time): You hold up more cubes, and the Yithian takes it from you with a taloned hand. It nods again, wordlessly agreeing to stick around longer.
  • Tikkoun elixir: You pop the cap and guzzle down the elixirs. It tastes just like it looks, but it sure makes you feel better.
  • insta-charge ampoule: You break open the ampoules and inhale the strange vapors that come out of it.
  • rusty brick: You try to pick up the rusty bricks, but accidentally a whole pile of them over onto your foot. (a whole pile of them what?)
  • frosted cocoa-fruity marshmallow blasts: You do this now, and enjoy N gigantic heaping mouthfuls of sweet, smushy goodness right as you finish off each of the bowls. (Either you enjoy N mouthfuls, or you enjoy one mouthful as you finish each of the bowls.)
B. With many items, the multi use text used is the same as the single use. In some cases that's perfectly right, since they are not using any text in singular. However, in the following items text in singular is used instead of plural. For brevity I'm just listing the items, not the text, which is exactly the single use text:
  • age pill
  • blue oxford drink
  • blue pill
  • lost keys
  • tacky grip
  • All SQUID discs, when a player is NOT equipped
  • smart juice
  • marshmallow-covered chocolate
  • Brad energy drink
  • Rainbow's Ark pill
  • fortified coffee
  • unstable isotopes
  • box pill
  • bug pill
  • cordial of cogitation
  • draft of dexterity
  • gyro stabilizer
  • lethargy pill
  • lion pill
  • little yellow pill
  • long-lost wallet
  • lost phone
  • lost sock
  • lost toy
  • lost wallet
  • purple pill
  • phone number
  • power stick
  • philtre of fortune
  • clockwork falcon
  • clockwork owl
  • clockwork spider
  • clockwork armadillo
  • clockwork kangaroo
  • clockwork ant
  • seltzer of sturdiness
  • batteryless remote control
  • batteryless long-lost remote control
  • long-lost remote control
  • Palooka Joe gum
C. For many sidekicks the message when you multi-use to add to an existing sidekick is fine, but the message for a "fresh sidekick" is the same as the single use, which in some cases is in singular. To save space I wont list the text, just the names of the sidekick creating items which follow this scheme:
  • mismatched earring
  • inactive strobe drone
  • harmonica
  • gym membership card
  • old coin
  • warrior hologram
  • Twilight Gold card
  • stale cracker
  • squawking radio
  • ferric man
  • grey robot
  • black robot
  • red robot
  • mechapinata
  • robot with a heart of gold
  • seal o' canth
  • wolf bait
Last edited by Muhandes on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:49 am, edited 58 times in total.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Not really a must, but nicer: when using a blue pill ends with "you've got a case of the Jazz. (Added for 30 minutes.)"

I think it would be nice if it used the standard name and bolding, i.e. "you've got A Case of the Jazz. (Added for 30 minutes.)"
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Ryme wrote:A lot of the earlier "fixed" that wasn't fixed probably wasn't pushed. I know I did actually change those items, and I've since updated most of the pages. Hopefully it's come through.
I'm running out of multis to redo the level 10 quest.

Anyway, a new one, which I'll only be able to test next BotB.

Samsara description:

There's nothing like a rock band to name themselves after the cycle of suffering though the illusionary mundane existence

Probably meant "through"
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Ryme wrote:A lot of the earlier "fixed" that wasn't fixed probably wasn't pushed. I know I did actually change those items, and I've since updated most of the pages. Hopefully it's come through.
I rechecked the ones I could. I removed the things which were indeed corrected, so my post above only includes things left to correct.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Ryme wrote:Frayday tired message is different.
Only the fight message was made different. Both the play and the rest messages still include "You've got to go home now or you're not going to make it through the work day tomorrow."
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

When using bug pill: You get an effect, Bee's Knees

You actually get the effect The Bee's Knees

When using brown bandage

You apply the brown bandages to your wounds.

should be "bandage", not "bandages" (except for multiuse, which in this case is correctly saying "bandages").
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

From "Viva Livia!", the second choice of "I'm All Locked Up":

She wears an almost scandalously tight dress with a fur shoal around her neck

That's probably a stole, or maybe a shawl.

Edit: removed what was intentional
Last edited by Muhandes on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

AldenteVonTino wrote:I presume, based on other posts I've seen hither and yon here within these pages, that everything is totally under control in this department?
:?:
(ie: No need for another set of eyes because everything from where I started, up to where you all are now has been covered?)
It's not a volunteer offer from me, and I do reserve the right to do so if necessary, but merely a question of respect as well as curiosity.
8)
Totally under control? Hardly. But we get by. All the same, as the others have said, if you see a typo (and check it against obvious jokes and dictionary.com) by all means let me know so I can fix it.

New stuff shows up on a regular basis, so opportunities for spelling corrections abund. See? I should have said abound, but I didn't.
AldenteVonTino

Post by AldenteVonTino »

**snaps a sharp and proper salute**
Roger, roger!
(I just love more than one tab open for a reason!)

8)
When you do the best you can it's called a try!
If you don't you need to ask yourself why?
Just give it a thought,
And failure is worth naught.
And then like an eagle you shall fly!
AldenteVonTino

Post by AldenteVonTino »

8)
Thanks!
8)
Just give it a thought,
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

I just noticed that on some items that give an effect the text is "you gain an effect" while on some it is "you get an effect". I can try to provide a list if it is mildly interesting.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I don't think I want to worry about such a small difference. Both words are accurate, and I don't see enforcing consistency as adding anything there.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Ryme wrote:I don't think I want to worry about such a small difference. Both words are accurate, and I don't see enforcing consistency as adding anything there.
I have no problem with that (not that it would have mattered if I did). I wouldn't have even noticed it if I didn't try a new template at the wiki.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

When Surfing for Lulz triggers:
You know that a fight is about to start, but you've just found this "hilaroious" collection of video clips, and it's hard to pull yourself away.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

Muhandes wrote:I just noticed that on some items that give an effect the text is "you gain an effect" while on some it is "you get an effect". I can try to provide a list if it is mildly interesting.
Muh... you should get some vacations.. or a full time job.. I can't decide yet
Top 10 on the Total Post list
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Carygon Nijax wrote:
Muhandes wrote:I just noticed that on some items that give an effect the text is "you gain an effect" while on some it is "you get an effect". I can try to provide a list if it is mildly interesting.
Muh... you should get some vacations.. or a full time job.. I can't decide yet
I have two jobs, you want me to take a third?
I wish I could take a vacation right now, but I usually take my vacations between the semesters.

Finding inconsistencies such as this takes zero time with the wiki. I just mention them so Ryme can decide if he wants to handle them or not.
AldenteVonTino

Post by AldenteVonTino »

I found one in the wiki!
Bottle of pills page, at the bottom:
"Each of the pill types is equally probable. You can got more than one of the same pill."
:wink:
Just give it a thought,
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Actually, I don't control the wiki. Not sure how that should be reported.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Anyone can edit the wiki, so whoever spots an error usually fixes it on the spot. I'll go double check that one, save Muhandes a bit of work.
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

I think muh would check on that anyway...

so... if you find a mistake on the wiki create a user an fix it! it is easier because you don't have to report it and wait somebody does it
AldenteVonTino

Post by AldenteVonTino »

I did not know this! Okies, I'll do that if I ever spot another!
8)
Just give it a thought,
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

in the tale of the Atmos Sphere: unslowed by viscous bandits

I guess they were quite thick bandits :)
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

you are a mean person
AldenteVonTino

Post by AldenteVonTino »

Muhandes wrote:in the tale of the Atmos Sphere: unslowed by viscous bandits

I guess they were quite thick bandits :)
Maybe that's a description of their brains? ie: Think?
Just give it a thought,
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

My version is intended to be a saw.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Magnum Opus, the glock golem: I think "glock" should be capitalized.

Edit: Corrected, please remove
Last edited by Muhandes on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Another missing linefeed:

You're caught off guard, and your opponent acts first. Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler jumps into a long, rambling story that starts, "Boy, I tell ya, the time I did the Kessel run, back when it was in yards, before they went metric, I must have done the whole run in ... what was it, ten, eleven of them? I dunno, but it was harder then. Uphill, both ways, in the middle of January, so you know there was snow. When I finished, my big toe on my right foot had frozen right up. My friend Chewie--his name was Charles but he liked the chewin' tobacco so we called him Chewie--hairy fella he was--stepped on my toe and broke it right off! ..." Both your and your opponent wait for your sidekick to finish.You are shocked by your electrical equipment and take 1 electric damage.

A general question: Are linefeeds usually done at the beginning or at the end of a message? Namely, is the above a problem with the damage message or the blocking message?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Heh. It's sweet of you to assume there's a generally. That, of course, is part of the problem.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Got another batch of these:

* marshmallow bombs -> blasts on criminology
* airplaine -> airplane
* I'll -> it'll
* marshmalows -> marshmallows

* carrry

* couple instances of oppoonent

* obviously -> obvious