Upcoming features and wish list

For to fix what's broke, and improve what ain't. Or something thereabouts.

Moderator: Moderators

Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Crud. I need to stop screwing around and kick some demon ass...
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Devant wrote:
Real Life arms: Well, where are M16 assault rifles? Chesterfield scoped rifles? M1 WWII rifles? Cobra double barreled carabines? I want my Uzi now...:P
My brother and I made an intentional choice not to include modern firearms in the game. For one thing, they're simply a little too immediately lethal, in many cases, and it's hard to justify things like "You shoot the villain point-blank with a gun. He winces a little but doesn't seem to mind." It's just not very realistic.

Also, though there are certainly plenty of exceptions in fiction, I personally find gun-toting to be slightly less "heroic" than using some of the other forms of weapons. This isn't much of an argument, but it's part of why the choice was made.

I think eventually we'll try to add some narrative justification for why regular guns aren't around--they're illegal, it's a universe where gunpowder doesn't work, something like that. I dunno.

Light sabers, or some equivalent, is a *very* good idea. Photon blade anyone? Spectrum knife? Wavelength sword?

There's a heck of a lot of other intriguing stuff there. Would take some work, but both different weapon weight classes or multiple attacks would be quite interesting. It definitely won't be immediate, but I'll add those ideas to the list of things to mull over.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Devant wrote:Also, in case you have seen the film "Equilibrium" (Seeing from the ambience of TH, you will surely like it) then we absolutely need Kata-Guns! :)
With the weighted clips so that when you throw them they stand up? :D

Ross wrote:My brother and I made an intentional choice not to include modern firearms in the game. For one thing, they're simply a little too immediately lethal, in many cases, and it's hard to justify things like "You shoot the villain point-blank with a gun. He winces a little but doesn't seem to mind." It's just not very realistic.
But you can blast them in the face with a laser cannon until the cows come home, eh? :P
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Well, considering most pocket-size modern lasers won't even make your skin warm, a slightly futuristic laser would burn but not be anywhere as immediately lethal as a big hole in your body.

Yeah, I realize the whole thing is a little arbitrary, and certainly other weapons are nearly as deadly, but it's a little bit of color that I personally find appealing about the world.

I'll have to check out the movie you folks are talking about--haven't seen that one.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ross wrote:I'll have to check out the movie you folks are talking about--haven't seen that one.
Oh, Ross... Equilibrium is a fine, fine movie. Definately worth the price of admission.

Interestingly enough, the same guy did Ultraviolet. Her fighting style was how the director originally invisioned the Gun Kata, as opposed to the surgical, snapping precision of Equilibrium. That style was the work of the fight coordinator. While Ultraviolet's style was more flowing and organic, I personally prefer Equalibrium's.
IcyFreak

Post by IcyFreak »

Devant wrote:NOTE: Yes, I know this is 2 weeks old. >.>
And I thought I had problems.
Have a nice day.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I'll add that eventually, but it's low on the priority list. Sorry.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Not impossible; just probably about ten times as painfully difficult as implementing computers. See the computer thread for the reference.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

I feel like you may have one of these, and these are things that I'm just being EXTREMELY nitpicky about.

All interface suggestions. And I'm sure you've got several of them in thought already.

- Make the frames resizable and/or able to be turned off (e.g. chat pane)
- Stick combat buttons on top of the text; two reasons: personally, I don't like having my mouse jump around a ton. >.> This allows for me (with respect to my monitor's resolution) to resize my windows as to do some kind of multitasking.
- Make an account option for Upgrade Armor and Upgrade Weapon to automatically up your current active effects instead of one extra step?
- Change radio button options to buttons, same idea as in KoL.
- Docks link? >.>

Anyways, that's what I've come up with. Thanks for the hard work and consideration of suggestions. :)
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

MagiNinjA wrote:- Make the frames resizable and/or able to be turned off (e.g. chat pane)
This first is an extremely reasonable request. I think I've got it working on IE, but for some reason Firefox isn't cooperating at all. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know, because it ought to be working as far as I can tell.
MagiNinjA wrote: - Stick combat buttons on top of the text; two reasons: personally, I don't like having my mouse jump around a ton. >.> This allows for me (with respect to my monitor's resolution) to resize my windows as to do some kind of multitasking.
- Make an account option for Upgrade Armor and Upgrade Weapon to automatically up your current active effects instead of one extra step?
- Change radio button options to buttons, same idea as in KoL.
- Docks link? >.>
The last two: also reasonable, and will probably be done sooner or later.

Combat buttons at top: I empathize, and might try to whip something up eventually, but I also fear that it could encouraging clicking without reading -- not necessarily evil in and of itself, but I think it's likely to dramatically increase false bug reports -- people assuming they should have gotten stuff when they didn't, people not realizing they picked up quest items, etc. I want to be careful with that one.

Account option for Upgrade skills: not a bad idea, though I might not get to it quickly. Also, it's potentially confusing to players who don't have those skills and thus won't know what the option is talking about.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Ryme wrote:I think I've got it working on IE, but for some reason Firefox isn't cooperating at all.
Alright, cool. I'll have to try that out some time. And "O.o" for the Firefox part. Silly FF.
Ryme wrote:Combat buttons at top: I empathize, and might try to whip something up eventually, but I also fear that it could encouraging clicking without reading
Makes sense. :)
Ryme wrote:Account option for Upgrade skills: not a bad idea, though I might not get to it quickly. Also, it's potentially confusing to players who don't have those skills and thus won't know what the option is talking about.
Maybe hide it if you aren't a gadgeteer?
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

I know you were saying an MMG could cause some pretty easy exploits, but if you do it correctly multi-abusing it will just cause a loss of money compared to just sending it in a message. The trick is each person puts in the same amount of money, and whoever wins RPS just gets their money back and the other persons money, all minus maybe 1% to the house. If you did it this way, in beating yourself you would just cause a loss.

Also, this is totaly on a different topic, but it'd be nice to be able to stretch the chat window. You can stretch the pane itself, but you just end up with a big gray space.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

We really are starting to need some mods in chat, we've already had some problems with a certain nocaps (#3090).

And I quote:

nocaps: THE WORDS ARE *bleep* *bleep* *bleep bleep* *bleep* *bleep* GEORGE WASHINGTON
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Hooray for inside jokes!
neocamp22

Post by neocamp22 »

Hoory for not so inside inside jokes that people pretend are inside!
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

neocamp22 wrote:Hoory for not so inside inside jokes that people pretend are inside!
Uh, yeah, exactly.

I'm hoping that clans/groups/guilds/[insert cool name here] will get implemented in a distant future. And then have minigames of some sort involving coordination. I can't think of any off the top of my head right now, though I know I've thought of something before...
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Lag would be the least of any chat mod's problems...
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Two things:
Number one, some sort of clan functionality would be nice, even if for now it's just a list and perhaps a seperate /clan channel.
Number two, a Valhalla-esque channel for players over a certain level.
IcyFreak

Post by IcyFreak »

Oh, yes. "See all current auctions" probably isn't such a good idea anymore.
Have a nice day.