Forum Issues

For to fix what's broke, and improve what ain't. Or something thereabouts.

Moderator: Moderators

Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Is there any chance that you have an internet service that changes your IP regularly? I've seen similar symptoms when going between different wireless access points.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Yeah, I've run into it some. I find clicking the "log in to see your new messages" link at the top tends to log you back in properly if you're logged out. That's not the permanent solution, but it's at least temporarily helpful.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I also want to note: I'm having a horrible time with the server clocks -- they keep jumping a half hour ahead. I think this may cause some troubles with the forums, because you end up drifting forward and back in time, so sometimes your cookies are dated in the future.

Not coincidentally, I think this is related to chat issues, too. Chat uses the server time to determine what you've seen and haven't seen. If you get pushed half an hour into the past, it thinks all those messages are new and spits them out at you. (I clean chat more often than that, so you're not really getting a full half hour, but it could be 3-5 minutes, and that's enough to cause the script to choke, apparently.)

I'm working on this with tech support.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Might be part of why chat is such a horrible resource hog.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Chat is just downright awful in nearly every way because it's borrowed and badly hacked code. But timing problems on top of that? Yeah, it can't be helping.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Maybe it would help if we set the chat on fire...
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Sorry, I don't use that functionality--clicking the icon you like to click--so it hasn't affected me much, and nobody else has commented. I just visit the thread and look for the little orange icon at the top of the post to see what I've read and what I haven't. It's not as efficient as your shortcut, obviously, but my ability to do anything to the forum software package (in terms of fixing bugs) is also somewhat limited.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Clackling wrote:This issue is still occurring. I can't click the little "View new posts" icon, or else it wipes all new posts across the forum. It's only with this forum, and it happens with any computer I use.
A + B = Settings?

I use the "New Post" icon, and it doesn't wipe out all the others. I would say it's a weirdness of your computer, but if it doesn't happen on other PHP forums, and it happens regardless of computer (and it doesn't happen to me), then the only thing I can think of is your account settings on the forum, but I'll be damned if I can think of what setting would do that.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
lazyfire

Post by lazyfire »

This was happening to me too, so I just gave up using the New Post link. I think it could be cookie related somehow because when i would read the new posts and then go back to the main forum it would make me log in again. I just use the link on the far right to go to the last post in the thread and everything seems to work fine.
lazyfire #303
The saddest songs were wrote in minor keys
Like Johnny Marr, I want my “Please Please Please” - Jason Martin
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Unfortunately, I'm at the newest version of PHPbb.

I had the log in twice issue for a while, but I got around it by clicking the "log in to view your messages" link at the top. That seemed to either remember me or require only one log in. But even that hasn't been an issue for me much lately.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

When I just come to the forums (like from the game page), I need to click "log in to view your messages" to be logged in. However, if I go directly to one of the subfora (ie: http://twilightheroes.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=1 ), I'm automatically logged in. Weird.