Minor interface tweak requests

For to fix what's broke, and improve what ain't. Or something thereabouts.

Moderator: Moderators

lazyfire

Re: Minor interface tweak requests

Post by lazyfire »

Could an info button be added to the Talisman Tabernacle selection so you don't have to switch back to the inventory to remember exactly what a talisman does? Or maybe change it to be similar to the Garage selection.
lazyfire #303
The saddest songs were wrote in minor keys
Like Johnny Marr, I want my “Please Please Please” - Jason Martin
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

Could we get the stationary combat buttons from the GM script hard-coded into the game? They're incredibly handy and I'd rather not have to switch over to firefox for the sole purpose of playing TH. I honestly think just about everyone would find use in them, and they're small enough that they won't bother anyone who wants to ignore them.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

When you finish decryption, a link back to the computer lab would be nice
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Muhandes wrote:When you finish decryption, a link back to the computer lab would be nice
It's there; I asked about this a few months ago. The words "your computer" link back to the lab, from the sentence telling you that the encryption is done.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

When naming one of my sidekick roles, I got:
Sidekick names must begin with a letter and are only allowed to contain letters, numbers, spaces, and dashes. No other characters are allowed. Sidekicks are people, too, you know. Nobody wants to be named &-*::;'; or anything weird like that.
Makes sense, but it makes some Irish names (ie: O'Connell) impossible.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Harry Dresden wrote:
Muhandes wrote:When you finish decryption, a link back to the computer lab would be nice
It's there; I asked about this a few months ago. The words "your computer" link back to the lab, from the sentence telling you that the encryption is done.
Usually links are green on my screen, this one, I guess, wasn't green.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Cristiona wrote:
Makes sense, but it makes some Irish names (ie: O'Connell) impossible.
Yes, I know. However, regular expressions and I get on like oil and fire -- don't touch them unless you want an explosion. I've tried and failed to improve on that part enough times that I've now given up. No Irish sidekicks, I guess.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Heh. Fair enough. I just removed the apostrophe, so he's OConnell. Close enough.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Something that might be nice: In the Retcon section of the Game Manual, a link to the retcon types dictionary entry would be handy.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Muhandes wrote:
Harry Dresden wrote:
Usually links are green on my screen, this one, I guess, wasn't green.
I just rechecked and the color of that link is indeed black. I ask that it be changed to green.

Edit: as this was implemented, you can remove this message.
Last edited by Muhandes on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Any chance for a send-from-DS ability? Even if you want to keep chips locked up, being able to send items would be kinda handy.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I probably should add that, but it may be a little while.
NardoLoopa

Post by NardoLoopa »

For whatever reason, I always assumed the NCI Live office map was a top-down representation. I didn't occur to me that I was looking at a cross-section of a standing building. The wiki enlightened me.

This is very easy to take care of by a small visual cue. If you add a small tree outside on the ground level it makes it clear what you're looking at immediately.

(and yes, I had a hard time making sense of the elevators. I'm just daft, I guess.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I agree... I seemed to understand it. Granted, though, I look at building elevations all the time, so I'm used to them.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Computer link greenified.
blackmatter615

Post by blackmatter615 »

any chance in our journal under the other notes section we could get a message letting us know where we sit on the most retcons and fastest retcon boards?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

blackmatter615 wrote:any chance in our journal under the other notes section we could get a message letting us know where we sit on the most retcons and fastest retcon boards?
That's phase 2 of the retcon history interface. I'd rather wait and try to integrate it there than do it twice.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

The implementation of creating multiple computers is rather odd. If you use a single it gives the option to create one, if you use multiple, it asks for a number, but then it sends you to a new page where you can type the number again. This is an unnecessary step.

Much simpler approach - make what is now the multiuse be the single use, and remove the multiuse.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

I figured out my problem. I'm a moron. Obviously.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Muhandes wrote:The implementation of creating multiple computers is rather odd. If you use a single it gives the option to create one, if you use multiple, it asks for a number, but then it sends you to a new page where you can type the number again. This is an unnecessary step.

Much simpler approach - make what is now the multiuse be the single use, and remove the multiuse.
Your proposed solution would be basically identical to what you have now. It just removes seeing the number from one location, but would equally confound the issue by shifting the use multiple into the use single option. I don't think that's an improvement. There's really minimal difference, either way.

You may not have noticed, but I have coded it so if you pick the number up front, it'll pass that number through to the confirmation form. Either way, you see the number field twice, but only have to touch it once. So your choices are:

1) just leave the number at 1 when you use the instructions. Then look at the printout and enter the proper number at confirmation.

2) Enter the quantity you want from the beginning. It passes this number onto the secondary form, and you can just click submit to enter it again.

Either of these is *exactly* the same number of steps as you would face on the single use - click once to use the form, click again to finish, enter the proper number once -- whether it's early or late is your choice.
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

could there be a way to get more that one flash-restore capsule at a time? I have tens of superconductor chips and it takes forever to convert them....
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I've tried overflow:hidden. The wife's got the iBook at the moment, so let me know if it works.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Can we get the "more" link for additional lines in the Hideout Storage for adding items?
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

I can't remember if this was mentioned before, but:

On the Retcon page (in game) a little popup link thingie (like in Deep Storage and the Talisman Tabernacle) next to where you select your skill to perm would be nice.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Would be nice if mob instigator gave some hint of progress
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

May or may not have been mentioned, but an option to change your email address wouldn't be a bad thing for the email updates.
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

I think the biggest reason games like TH don't let you change your e-mail is to prevent someone from password-guessing into your account, changing the email address, and therefore making it impossible for you to ever recover your account.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Harry Dresden wrote:I think the biggest reason games like TH don't let you change your e-mail is to prevent someone from password-guessing into your account, changing the email address, and therefore making it impossible for you to ever recover your account.
Yeah. Though there are workarounds. Such as emailing a notice to the old account and leaving the transaction pending for a week first before making the switch. It's been on the to-do list for a while, since I put in the password reminders.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Just the notification that something has been decrypted kicks you out of the maze. Really annoying when decrypting the level 5 quest cards while trying to complete the Mind Bender quest. Is that on purpose, or something that could be fixed in future?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

The notification, or clicking on the notification and going to the lab?
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Just the notification itself. Clicking it to go to the lab would make sense.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I've checked the code and there's nothing in there that would kick you out of the maze. This doesn't seem like it should be possible.
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Weird. I'll try it out next time without the Greasemonkey stuff running, just to be sure that isn't the problem.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

A link to your retcon history on the character sheet. It's currently only available on the public profile.
NardoLoopa

Post by NardoLoopa »

On the Personal retcon listing page swap the Reputation and the skill-number. Replace the skill number with the skill name.

I realize the number is there because of the width of the table. But if you put the variable length long thing at the end, people will either see the beginning of the string and know what hte skill is, or not know and click the link or scroll. Pestimistically the the same information is available w/o scroll. Optimistically the person may know the skill being referenced seeing only part of the name.

Obviously this assumes the skill number isn't commonly meaningful to users.
Satan

Post by Satan »

The main page could sure use a perma-link to the forums.
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

It already has a link, right above the Announcements.