Content development

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Strlikecrazy

Re: Content development

Post by Strlikecrazy »

Yes. Kill it before it hits you. :P
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

It's just a matter of taking the time to write descriptions for the attacks.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Basically only two (well, two and a half) people have written any significant content text for the game, because I'm really picky about text and humor, and making sure things fit the tone. And even when I'm not doing the writing, the text goes through me for editing and consistency. This unfortunately means outside help isn't always helpful (because I've still got to take time to edit/apply the text), or at worst can actually slow development down, if I get really caught up trying to edit or rewrite stuff that doesn't fit what I'm looking for.

It's very hard for me to be convinced that someone else will write the kind of things I'm looking for. This isn't meant to slight you or anyone else who has volunteered over the years, because you can be a good writer and still not write something that I think fits here.

It's definitely tougher with writing. With coding, if someone wants to volunteer to help I can just ask them to code something, and then decide from there whether I can use what's written. I don't really have an equivalent for writing. I guess if I did, writing a handful of sample hit/miss messages for a few monsters might be the right way to start. I hate to suggest that, though, because while I can probably use most code sent my way (even if it needs some cleanup), I know I'm likely to be a lot pickier about the writing and would probably throw far more out than I would keep. And what I throw out just slows me down from working on other stuff, and would probably disappoint the volunteer who's just trying to help, and I'm not really looking to promote either of those things..

We should probably have a contest for missing hit/miss messages, but I'm so darn horrible at wrapping up contests properly and giving the promised rewards, I just feel bad every time I consider such ideas. We've had some fantastic additions to the game based on contests, but I always feel like a jerk when I can't follow through on the wrap-up in a timely fashion. And with retcon looming, I know being timely about anything else just isn't going to happen.
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

For any psychic-based character:

"Your opponent thinks about attacking you...{it} succeeds, and hits you for X damage."
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"