Welding Recipe contest - Ends Nov 30, 2009

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

Welding Recipe contest - Ends Nov 30, 2009

Post by Ryme »

I may be asking for trouble, because my follow-through with last year's recipe contest was pretty bad, but I really liked the results -- lots of neat items (eventually) came out of it. So this year I'm going to do a WELDING recipe contest.

Give me some WELDING recipes!

Rules:

0) Post your recipes here in this forum. Recipes sent anywhere else are likely to be ignored, deleted, or eaten by my cats.
1) It absolutely, positively has to be a welding recipe.
2) It should consist of turning two existing items into a new item, or very possibly unwelding an existing item into two very witty different component items (*glares at Olaf*).
3) If the process needs any explanation (for example, the recipe for high jump boots is kind of vague; the recipe for the lover's locket is obvious) please include a brief line or two.
4) Provide the name and a very brief description of the resulting item (it's a weapon that does sonic damage; it's a potion that buffs strength).
5) Avoid inventing completely new types of effects -- if nothing in the game does it now, yours shouldn't be able to do it.
6) Limit 3 entries per person. Some people had more than one good suggestion last year, and I hated disqualifying their extra entries. That said, more than three per person and I'll be swamped.
7) Recipes should all be based on common items; no donation items, rares, ultrarares, or once-per-lifetime items.
8 ) New recipes for the "new" catalyze or metalmorph metals (tritanium, cryonite, polysteel, cavorite, byzantium, and illuminum) are welcome. They are NOT required, though. You can make your recipe involving any two things that you think ought to be weldable, new or old.
9) The "unimplemented" metals that I declared in the metals contest ARE fair game. Those three being pentium, paladinum, and malkamite. Whereas the six "new" metals were pretty formulaic, I'd like to branch out more with the final three, which will be "premium" metals. These three metals already have a certain theme in my mind, so recipes for those metals are much more likely to be picked if they reflect those themes:

* Pentium - Increases foe toughness. Either by making opponents angry, or by making you weaker. Key words: pent- or quint- prefixes, angry, weakening, draining, enervating.

* Paladinum: Increases strength or HP. Key words: heroic, strong, might/mighty, anything that fits a paladin.

* Malkamite: Increases XP. Implications are that the age of the item imparts wisdom. Key words: old, ancient, antique, venerable, creaky, aged, superannuated, archaic, prehistoric, bygone, forgotten, antediluvian, "of old", primordial, primeval, dateless, ancestral, from the dawn of time.

Judging:

Judging will be based on the following factors, in this order:
1) Cleverness of the recipe and the name of the resulting item
2) Using items that don't currently have recipes
3) Practicality of implementing the item
4) Humor and whim on my part

Example of a good entry (except for the fact this is a combine and not a weld):
Night Club
Combine long arm of the law with the night cap.
Does sonic damage (because night clubs are loud)

Humor: you can't really combine the hat with the club; the premise is the mask on the night cap causes you to lose your club, and when you think you've found it again, it's actually a different club.
Winners:

Top 3 recipes (as rated by me) will be included in the game. (Runner up-recipes may also be included, or adapted, depending on how many I get and how good they are.) Anyone who suggests a recipe that gets implemented will get 50 of said item.

Top 3 recipes will receive other prizes, as follows:

First prize:
10 Scalpel sodas
1 armored pegasus
a prize box with 5 each of the premium metals (pentium, paladinum, and malkamite)

Second prize:
6 Scalpel sodas
1 pegasus
a prize box with 5 each of the premium metals (pentium, paladinum, and malkamite)

Third prize:
3 Scalpel sodas
1 pegasus
mattrkbgkf

Re: Welding Recipe contest - Ends Nov 30, 2009

Post by mattrkbgkf »

Personally, I'm tired of my computers, and could use an upgrade! Who else is with me?

Positronic Abacus
Positronic Computer + Malkamite
Effects: Increase in intellect and experience gain, slight addition to length of each turn

A blend of ancient and futuristic technology, worthy of the ballads of old. While you weren't entirely sure how having the fastest electronic components available in a manually operated machine, just using this mechanism makes you feel smarter, and learn more from your exploits! Unfortunately, operating this amazing abacus tends to take a bit longer than using a standard computer.

Paladin Processor
Positronic Computer + Paladinum
Effects: Increase in strength and money gain, slight addition to length of each turn
A device as stubborn as a templar, but just as frugal. Working with this contraption takes muscle, but with such a workout, you'll feel stronger for it. This computer is kind enough to take a moment of your time to point you in the direction of the criminals with deeper pockets, too! Such charity!

Quintessential Workstation
Positronic Computer + Pentium
Effects: Increase in reflexes and foe toughness

This computer is actually a set of five components; a mainframe stays in your hideout, while a quartet of drones follow you around. These drones illuminate opponents, boosting your natural reflexes. Unfortunately, having a set of lights following you tends to attract the worst criminals just looking to release their pent up rage.
blackmatter615

Post by blackmatter615 »

Dented hubcap+ Pentium= Pentameter (ranged weapon; does large amount of sonic damage, but also makes foes tougher, cus well its poetry) This pentameter is the Five Finger Death Punch of Poems. When you read it out loud, all enemies in the area cringe away in pain. Those that dont pass out attack you even more fiercely.

Titanium+ beanbag cannon= ball bearing cannon (ranged weapon; does extra ranged damage)

Shattered pro statue+test sign= shattered protest sign (this is a deweld)

Shattered pro statue (read Heisman)accessory; increases strength or xp gain possibly even make it so you can combine multiple to make a pro statue that increases both

Test sign: accessory; increases the duration of all buff/aura skills by x% (x <10, or even graded with level like the sidekicks are) I know this is really strong, so you could also just make the skills cost one less

Outside of rules because its an IoTM derivative but this is the first one that I thought up
deweld (or deassemble) mismatched earring into the missed match and the ear ring
Missed match (accessory adds fire damage)
Ear ring ( accessory a ring of ears. Increases strength)
acidcat

Post by acidcat »

Flashlight + digital saber = lightsaber (maybe weld two sabers to get the double-ended sith lightsaber?)) - maybe weld something a bit more impressive than the flashlight, like the laser macrodiode?

Upgraded, more powerful digital saber, maybe with more defence/dodge to reflect the ability to block energy bolts.
"Not as clumsy or random as a BLT; an elegant weapon for a more heroic age."
malk-a-mite

Post by malk-a-mite »

Ryme wrote:* Malkamite: Increases XP. Implications are that the age of the item imparts wisdom. Key words: old, ancient, antique, venerable, creaky, aged, superannuated, archaic, prehistoric, bygone, forgotten, antediluvian, "of old", primordial, primeval, dateless, ancestral, from the dawn of time.

... ha ha ha ha ha.
Look this good when you reach 102 I think not.
==
insert clever .sig file here
==
Carygon Nijax

Post by Carygon Nijax »

QUESTION

Before I start posting my ideas... I want to know something,
Do I have to post at least one recipe including the new metals? Or am I able to skip those new items and attach myself to the old ones without a recipe?
Top 10 on the Total Post list
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Whatever you want, as long as it includes solder. I only meant to let people know the new metals are fair game, but you can weld anything you want, though it probably ought to include some metal somewhere. Welding denim to denim just doesn't work very well.
seventhcross

Post by seventhcross »

Okay... Here's my first idea: Mysterious Machine
Weld old-style ambulance + green residue
The van needed more color, so you smeared this mysterious green stuff all over it and used your welding kit to make sure it didn't wash off.

Makes a transport with a use-able effect that grants you a sidekick: meddling kids

OF course I've agonized over which items to use. unbranded jalopy can be substituted for the ambulance. as for the green residue, I really wanted to use either a crimebusters IOU or one of the Halloween costume items, bed-sheet with holes or plastic fangs, but I was unsure if either of those would qualify. I also considered the fuel tank as the mystery machine always seemed to be running out of gas. Palooka Joe gum was also considered for it's "detective" theme, though it really wasn't as good as the others. I ended up choosing the green residue since it matched their van and reminded me of the glowing green substance they usually find as a clue.

more ideas to follow when I think of them. ^_^
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

Epic Flail
Paladinum + Morning Star

Large increase to strength and HP, but also deals some damage to the user. The idea is that it is an awesome but impractical weapon; epic flail referring to both the weapon, and the Star Wars kid style flailing you have to go through to use it.

Crystal skull
Pentium + cosmic crystals

Helmet that gives "ruined forever" effect -- increased for toughness, increased combat chance, and decreased XP. The idea is that foes look into the crystal skull and are overcome with an overwhelming urge to destroy you (only somewhat different from the movie). The decreased XP is because, in theory, enemies aren't getting fancy with their attacks. They're just coming straight at you.
Last edited by Jesus on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

* Pentium - Increases foe toughness. Either by making opponents angry, or by making you weaker. Key words: pent- or quint- prefixes, angry, weakening, draining, enervating.

My three focus on the same idea, mostly 'cause i can't think of much else!

Electro Toad
TaserMax + Gilligan's golf club

Melee weapon (club)

The electric current makes the club spin round and round, round and round, round and round... woah, all hail the Hypno Toad.

Chance to stun opponent
Occasionaly forces opponent to hit itself

Cold Branding Iron

Weld Pentium + ('Electro Toad' = TaserMax + Gilligan's golf club)

Melee weapon (spear)

You feel the overwhelming urge to prod things. But in a subtle kind of way.

6% of damage returned as PP
+5 XP per battle

Red Hot Poker

Cold Branding Iron + Enerbun Globule

Melee weapon (spear)

When you were young and innocent, you were outraged by ranchers branding their cattle. But when you realized poking villains with a red hot poker made them angry, you couldn't resist giving it a go yourself. Mind you, if someone poked you, wouldn't you be angry?

Sends foe into 'Burning Rage' (Increase foe toughness)
Reputation based*

*Only equippable by Vigilante, Pragmatic or Watchdogs.

Using a Red Hot Poker with a sky water in the inventory removes the heat.
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Blatz wrote:Cranky Old Bastard Sword
Telekinetic Katana + Malkamite
This... this is awesome.

Since I assume you don't want us using limited or unique items...

Righteous Shades(TM) (smokey goggles + paladinum)

Not only are these glasses awesome, but they're literally righteous, designed to make you even more heroic and buff than anyone ever though possible. Of course, the bad guys always have their eye out for heroic types, especially when they advertise.

Accessory
+combat chance
+5 Strength

cloak of desanguination (hooded cloak + Pentium)

Unfortunately, this isn't some creepy fanged cloak that drinks the blood of your opponents (because, seriously, what kind of hero would use something like that). No, this is a creepy fanged cloak that drinks your blood. It's hard to say why you'd actually wear such a thing. It's creepy, it's unnerving and it freaks out everyone around you. Oh yeah. That's why.

Shirt
Power: 30
+non-combat chance
-5 HP/turn
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
seventhcross

Post by seventhcross »

Entry number 2, this one is a two parter.

Song of the Siren
weld: Aquasson Logo + Verse of the Dodo
This handy little tune is really catchy and seems to draw a lot of attention.

+ combat chance

Ryme of the Ancient Mariner
weld: Song of the Siren + malkamite
Reading this long poem gives you something to do between fights while patrolling. It also makes you feel smarter for being able to read it without falling asleep.

+ xp
ZehduPikado

Post by ZehduPikado »

1)
Xentrium Axe + Cryonite = Cold-Blooded Axe
This is not a regular axe... Well maybe it is, but it's cold,
so cold that all you can say when you get hit by it is:
"I feel... cold."
Melee weapon (Slashing, large)
Power: 180
Level Required: 16
+20 ice damage
+10% resist ice damage
+50% damage to cursed pirates
(Refers to Captain Barbossa in Pirates of the Caribbean)

2)
Astral Spline + Paladinum = Jousting Spear
Beware of the one who wields this weapon for you will surely have a great fall.And neither the king's horses nor the king's men, will put you together again.
Melee Weapon (Piercing, large)
Power: 190
Level Required: 18
+20 Strength
+5% of weapon damage returned as HP
Provides +10% max HP if worn in conjunction with an armored horse (Armored Pegasus).
(Refers, of course, to Humpty Dumpty)
xD
zyborg

Post by zyborg »

Okay, here goes nothing:

Extension cord + Cryonite = Frostbite whip (whip/flexible weapon)
Description: This is one cool whip. You can easily cream opponents with this.
Power: 110-120?
Special: + ice damage

Frostbite whip + Cryonite = Numbchuck (? weapon)
Description: This is no ordinary nunchuck. This is a numbchuck, almost guarenteed to knock your opponent out cold.
Power: 150?
Special: + ice damage
Pile of bricks + PDA/Broken PDA = Brickboy (noncombat item)
Description: The Bricktendo Brickboy is bricktastic! In that it is as big and technologically advanced as one. Still, the games you can play on it are relatively fun, until the whole system is bricked.
Effects: Will randomly raise one of the user's stats:

Strength-up Description: You play...some...game. The gameplay and graphics are so horrible, you just want to break the Brickboy.Which you procede to do. At least you got some exercise.

Intellect-up Description: You play 'Generic Puzzle Game II'. You seem to be doing very well. So well that you nearly complete a level, before the batteries die. Man, the Brickboy sucks...energy.

Reflexes-up Descripion: You play 'Italian Plumber Land'. This level sure is difficult. You need all of your timing and button-pressing speed here. In fact, you mash the buttons so rapidly, the Brickboy burns out. Shoot. You almost beat the giant turtle-dog, too.
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

And my last entry:

Mis-guidance system
Malkamite + guidance system

The idea is that it's an accessory that gives you outdated advice. So while wearing it, you get a better insight into things (learning from the mistakes of the past by... er... repeating them) resulting in increased XP gains. But this also takes more time, so it would add a few seconds to each turn.
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)
acidcat

Post by acidcat »

Decided I didn't like my idea - will come up with a better one.
Last edited by acidcat on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satan

Post by Satan »

malkamite + jetpack = decrepit flying machine

Transportation
Range: 2
+15 seconds to turn length
Occasional Strength bonus point after turn

Back in the old days, heroes in Twilight used to walk up the hill, both ways, wearing this on their back (who knows why).
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

LMAO!!! That was awesome, Sate!
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
AldenteVonTino

Post by AldenteVonTino »

Ok, just for shiggles, let's see what happens:

titanium plating + gears (x2) = titanium gears
titanium plating + stabilized gyros(x2) = stabilized titanium gyros
titanium gears + stabilized titanium gyros(x2) = mechanical stabilized titanium gyros
mechanical stabilized titanium gyros + mechanical stabilized titanium gyros = super-stable mechanical stabilized titanium gyros
super-stable mechanical stabilized titanium gyros + bike = super-stable gyro-cycle

"This isn't your normal bike. No way. In fact any normal bike that sees this cycle instantly wishes it were a unicycle so as to draw attention away from yours."

Range: 4
+5 dodging ability
+5% to initiative
Grants super jumps

8)
When you do the best you can it's called a try!
If you don't you need to ask yourself why?
Just give it a thought,
And failure is worth naught.
And then like an eagle you shall fly!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Mechamoccasin - (water moccasins + robotics kit)

Boots
Power: 7(?)

+5 acid damage

" No, it's not a snake-arm bot. It's a, er, snake-foot bot, yeah, let's go with that."

Boombox - (Squawking radio + Digital voice recorder or maybe either of the two plus that ' Box ' item LiiLii2 pitched in)

Accessory
Power: 0 power

+5 sonic damage

" Relive the 90's with this old school radio. I don't know why you would want to relive the 90's anyway, we have much better technologies in this century anyway. "
Ghetto Blaster - (pod blaster + boombox)

Ranged weapon (Spray weapon)
Power: 140

+2% of weapon damage returned as PP(?)
+2% of weapon damage returned as HP(?)

+5 sonic damage

" Epitomize your proximity with this blaster. Utterance to your procreator. "