March's Item of the Month - Marty Crouch's Magic Chest

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

March's Item of the Month - Marty Crouch's Magic Chest

Post by Ryme »

Like the other *ouch items (pouch and couch) this allows you to summon an amount of items every day. This set of items are "magic trick" themed and are all combat usable (with some out of combat).

Actually just wanted to start this thread to list some of the "magic tricks" that were either rejected or we couldn't come up with anything practical for, but which were funny anyway.

telepathy -> telapathy (making people not care at a distance)

telekinesis -> hellakinesis (really bitchin' ability to move things with your mind)

clairvoyance -> starevoyance (being able to tell when someone is staring at you)

pyrokenesis -> pyrosynasthesia (seeing fire where there should be letters and numbers)

OR pyrokenesis -> pyroreeses (getting your fire stuck in someone's peanut butter)

necromancy -> neccomancy (being able to communicate with little candy wafers)

Clairvoyance -> Clairbuoyance = knowing whether an object will float

Telekinesis -> Telefluoresis = Making things glow with your mind

Psychokinesis -> Psycho kinesis (ability to move psychos with your mind)

ESP -> Extra Sanitary Perception (ability to find clean bathrooms)

Pyrokinetics -> Pyritecalisthenics (tendency to work-out with fool's gold)

Necromancy -> Nekomancy (ability to communicate with cats)

Alchemy -> Malchemy (the art of turning lead into yuck)

Astral Projection -> Wastrel Projection (creating the illusion of hobos)

--------------

Guess I also want to note after polling a few people it seemed worthless to have anything other than the "dump all items" usage, so this version of the *ouch summoners just dumps them all. Saves on a lot of complexity in the use page, and there's really no reason someone might want to summon one but not all, that I can think of.
Olaf

Re: March's Item of the Month - Marty Crouch's Magic Chest

Post by Olaf »

I must say, I'm continually impressed by the item descriptions you come up with. The drowsing rod in particular displays a special sort of genius.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

You invite Ryme to play cards with you and then declare the game to be fifty-two pickup. It's kind of a jerk move, but it's still funny. You buff Ryme with Playing Fifty-two Pickup.
I would like to see quotation marks added around the word buff. :D
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Very nice ideas, I'd love to see some of them in the future. I don't know w
Ryme wrote:Guess I also want to note after polling a few people it seemed worthless to have anything other than the "dump all items" usage, so this version of the *ouch summoners just dumps them all. Saves on a lot of complexity in the use page, and there's really no reason someone might want to summon one but not all, that I can think of.
I agree to this. The pouch has different modifier with each version, which one might actually want (OK, maybe it's just me who needs the 1% item drops bonus). But for the couch I can't think of any reason not to dump it. It just makes it very hard (at this point close to impossible) to have one of each in the MD :D
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Well, the Enerbun Sphere is unequippable until level 12, so, yeah.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Hopefully????! You're damn right I addressed this already. You can't use the doll on any UR, boss*, or scaling creature.

*Boss is defined both as final bosses, and also as any foe that has a quest-related consequence for beating it. This would include some of the holiday foes, but they're scaling and get included anyway.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Wait, no scaling? It seems like the only one you'd really want to prevent from picking up is the fiends, maybe. I can't see how it'd damage anything to do it for the space robots.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Because I can't reliably recreate the scaling on a lot of critters, so you're not going to be able to really fight the same thing a second time.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Oh, I figured you just stored an encounter number and by-passed the encounter selection if it was present.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

For non-scaling foes, yes. For scaling foes, it's much more complicated.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Also, imagine stockpiling a bunch of voodoo dolls and going into S7G for the first time. And then getting yourself onto the S7G leaderboard while fighting 1HP robots.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Satan

Post by Satan »

But you must have some definitive link to a scaling enemy, right? An id of some sort? But meh, maybe it's not setup the way I'm thinking. I figure every encounter has an id, scaling or not, and you have blanks or something to indicate if it's scaling, and if it is, it scales it according to the formulas. So if you just saved that id with the voodoo doll, it wouldn't recreate the 1 hp robots, it'd just make sure you got the robot with that name and it'd do the scaling as usual. :/
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Like the ID would just be a reference to creating the encounter and then the encounter applies all the formulas.

Does this warrant rewriting some systems? It might be a massive pain later if you don't make the switch now.

With that said, the chest makes me feel like I'm getting many items. Much nicer than the other stuff.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Marty Crouch's magic chest (empty) - 7

I demand multi-use for magic chest >:/
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Gee, while you're at it princess fickle, add multi use and change the functionality of the couch and pouch!
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

I was thinking of some nice abuse of voodoo dolls, but it appears Ryme thought of it too:

You hold up the voodoo doll, but it has no reaction to your opponent. Apparently the mojo of your foe is stronger than the voodoo of you.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

What monster? Remember, they don't work on scaling, URs and one time bosses.
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

MagiNinjA wrote:What monster? Remember, they don't work on scaling, URs and one time bosses.
They also don't work on some other specific cases. VIP guest and sphinx are the ones I found so far.
Strangely, chemist and pitch-black knight can be voodooed, but sphinx cannot. One wanders what logic is used.
Also, Blotto sotto capo can be voodooed but VIP guest cannot.

Are these bugs, or intentional?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Quest-related creatures can't be imprinted. The VIP guest is such a creature. The others aren't, so the results are mostly to be expected, except for the sphinx, which isn't a quest creature but has been marked as such. I'm still trying to figure out if there was a quest of some sort I meant to apply to the thing, or if that's an accident.
Satan

Post by Satan »

Ryme wrote:Quest-related creatures can't be imprinted. The VIP guest is such a creature. The others aren't, so the results are mostly to be expected, except for the sphinx, which isn't a quest creature but has been marked as such. I'm still trying to figure out if there was a quest of some sort I meant to apply to the thing, or if that's an accident.
Technically the blotto sotto capo enemy is quest related, right? Drops the capo key?
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Yes, that was part of the question. Why the difference between VIP guest and Blotto sotto capo?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Curious. According to the code, those two are only "quest foes" while you're in the quest. Once you've finished with their respective steps, either of them should be imprintable. This appears to be the case when I test it. Muhandes, were you in the middle of the quest when you tested these?
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

Yes I was. In fact, I imprinted the blotto on the same adventure when he gave me the key.