Question about Wok of Stars...

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Since last month was the first month of the game, I decided to leave the cape in for a second month. However, it will be leaving the Wok of Stars at the end of December, never to be offered again. If you're really determined to get one, you'll have to farm for the stars. (Gold or silver--if you get a gold, it's convertible into silver with no problem.)

The cape was supposed to be an exception, but I've had a couple of requests to keep the shield for a second month, too. The argument being that there still aren't that many players in the game, and leaving it around for a while might be nice for the continual trickle of new players. Some people have even suggested that every item should have a two-month appearance at the Wok.

I see the point, some, but I'm leaning towards sticking with my initial plan of discontinuing it at the end of December. Primarily, I think I should stick to what I told people I'd do. Secondarily, I think the "Item of the Month" is a nice, simple, easy to understand concept. Whereas, "Item that shows up for two months and overlaps with two other items," gets kinda confusing. I think there would be no end of questions from new players about how it works, when things expire, which of the two in the store is the old one, and stuff like that. Finally, I just don't think there's going to be that huge of a difference in listing the shield for a second month--most people who really want one and will be able to get one already have one, and most folks who need to save up to get it later can get it from the auction house nearly as easily as from me.

If anyone feels really strongly about this issue one way or the other, you've got a day or two to discuss it here.
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

I don't think anyone's going to call you a liar and a cheat if you don't take the shield out of the store until the end of January, especialy the people who can't donate, such as myself and Mr. Tviri here. Just put at the top of the Wok text or something, nobody would mind and plenty of people would appreciate it.
cromulentia

Post by cromulentia »

i feel like having an item in the wok of stars for two months is just a bit too long. like MrAnderson said, maybe have a predetermined set of dates listed for an item's availability so players know exactly how long it will be in there. i think something along the lines of six weeks would be a good amount of time for an item to be available.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

Kinda, but not really. I've just always wanted an extra month to be comfortable in purchasing things.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

In theory, star prices should stabilize to a point where you can farm up a Gold in a month. Sadly, that doesn't much help people wanting a cape or a shield.

On the other hand, they probably won't shoot up too much, as nobody will be able to afford them.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
cromulentia

Post by cromulentia »

Dybbuk wrote:The thing is, I guess people want to be able to compare IotM to see which ones they really want.
while being able to compare things may be nice, i think it kind of screws around with the whole iotm system too much. to me, it just makes things all the more fun and interesting if something is only available for a limited amount of time, and only one item at a time.
cromulentia

Post by cromulentia »

Hodag wrote:You can incentivize donations and still have items available for a little while. Maybe, the first month it is 10 stars and then the price goes to 25 stars the second month, and then off the landscape for good. Those that really want it will dig deep in month one.
and i missed this post the first time around, oops. i second this idea. if the item does stay around for more than a month, it should become more expensive. maybe not 25 stars, but definitely more than 10.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Hrm. Thanks for all the input, but I feel just about as divided as I did before.

I think I'm gonna split the difference, and leave the shield for an extra two weeks. I'm adding an expiration date to the Wok so that it'll be obvious exactly when it will disappear.

Going forward, I do plan on sticking to just month by month (not counting a few other things I might add that stick around longer or permanently). I'll always have an expiration date for things that will be expiring.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

I believe there's a couple in the works, but it's a balance and creation issue.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

I can't wait to sell my extra Hero's Cape and Aegis Flux in the A.H. a few months from now. :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
TheK3vin

Post by TheK3vin »

/cry, I barely missed it... Couldn't donate.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

ClownHammer wrote:The first month the item is available at the lowest cost (in this case the lowest cost in stars) and each month it would go up by one star until it finally leaves the Wok.
When the first month it actually doubles, then starts going up in the later months (5, 10, 11, 12...), which is supposed to help encourage investment.
<==
Well, I've got a hat!
DuRhone

Post by DuRhone »

This is a good idea. And, BTW I have at least 2 of each donation item including the hero's cape.