Game news - none

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

Game news - none

Post by Ryme »

Welcome to the beta version of Twilight Heroes. If you haven't already, please read the forum policies.

I've moved a lot alpha testing of stuff out of here in the short term so that it doesn't spoil too much for new players. 48-hour rule and all that.

If anyone sees anything that seems particularly spoilery, let me know so I can hide it or clean it up. Thanks!
Last edited by Ryme on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:57 am, edited 12 times in total.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Some foes now have elemental attacks, so you can put that elemental resistance to good use! Also, elemental resistance caps at 50% reduction.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Servers have been ordered. It will probably take at least a couple of days for them to get here, and then there will be some setup and testing time. Still, help is in sight.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience. Hold on tight for a couple of days and then we'll see if we can't put the lag beast back in its cage for a while. In the meantime, I'll probably focus mostly on creative stuff that doesn't require a responsive computer, and then working on the various and sundry minor bug fixes once the game is working properly again.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Sorry to say this, but I think I'm just going to put the game on pause tonight after rollover until I can get the new servers going. I received 150 bug reports today, of which all but a handful were directly related to the lag, and the 500 errors are getting ridiculous. The longer I let this go, the more time I'll have to spend cleaning up screwy results, and I don't think anyone wants that. Hopefully it'll just be a couple of days, and then you can get back in and make up for lost time on the new servers. Thanks for your patience.

In the meantime, enjoy the adorable rollover kitty!
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Testing. Just want to see if this works.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Sorry, forgot to mention, I moved rollover up an hour with the new servers. So it's now at 11:10 Eastern time. That fits a little better with my schedule -- I'm actually alert to fix things if something goes wrong.

Today's rollover happened a little late because the script malfunctioned, but I've got that going properly now.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Apparently, with the move to the new servers the bug report and contact forms are broken--they act like they're working, but I'm not getting the emails. Also, the verification image on the forums is broken, too. Naturally, it takes a while to realize that not getting email is itself a bug. I'll be working on fixing it as soon as possible this evening. Sorry for the inconvenience, and if you really need to reach me about something important a forum PM is probably the best bet.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Okay, so I think I've fixed the sql errors in the auction house. Items with an apostrophe in the name were messing things up. Also finally tracked down a chips duplication bug related to the auction house.

And I think I've got it so that people who are decrypting data won't lose the effect anymore. I'll try to track down anyone who's stuck and get them un-stuck.

The contact and bug report forms are still broken. As is forums registration. I'm still working on that.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Okay, I think I've got bug reports and the contact form ironed out. Turns out one of my hosts was blocking this domain, stopping all email. And I pay those guys? Sheesh.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I think all the major "this just doesn't work at all" bugs are fixed, and I've stopped two different infinite chips bugs in the past week. So that's a good start. I do wish more people would tell me when they find serious bugs, though. I've had to reprimand a few people for profiting in silence, and I don't want to do that. And besides, the game as a whole suffers the longer those things last. It *is* in the policies that major bugs should be reported immediately.

Getting chat upgraded is the next major project.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

As mentioned elsewhere, after a security hole destroyed everyone's inventory, I had to roll back the game to last night's state. This means everything since then has been lost. Unfortunately, besides having to redo your effort, this includes a couple of more significant problems:

1) Anybody who joined the game since yesterday's rollover will have to recreate their character. By the time I thought about trying to save this information, I'd already over-written it.

2) Anyone who donated since last night needs their donation items back. I've found a few of you by matching your donator's email address with the character email, but a number of them I couldn't match. If you donated and didn't get the item back, please contact Ryme (via in game message, or bug report, or the contact form, or PM, or anything) with the transaction details, I'll get your stuff back to you as soon as possible.

3) In-game messages from that time frame were lost, too. So you may need to re-message me about forum signups, etc. (Forums themselves weren't affected, so you're still registered.)
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Chat is now slightly improved. It has channels! You do have to exit and then enter another channel manually--no commands yet. Also, Normal 2 is just sort of empty space if Normal gets too crowded. I couldn't think of another useful topic at the moment.

No, there is no secret "Twilight Underground" channel.

Also, chat should now scaled to the size of your window, and the font size is reduced. Both should cut back on issues caused by fast scrolling.

Hopefully I can keep adding to it incrementally over the next couple of days and get it going a lot smoother.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

There's a new zone tucked away in there somewhere.

Also, please remember and respect the no spoilers for 48 hours rule. Both in chat and here in the forums. The vaguest of hints only.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

A number of foes now have elemental weaknesses or elemental resistances.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Nappy You Here! Yappy Who Near? Whatever. January's items (yes, items) of the month are now in the Wok of Stars in Somerset Square.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Just a little teaser: on Jan 18 (so rollover on Friday going into Saturday) I'll open up an in-game puzzle of sorts involving assembling a mystery item.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I made a small but disastrous error which gave everyone millions of chips. I had to roll everyone's chips back to their total from last night at rollover. Everything else should be untouched. I'm working on ways to try to be fair to anyone who may have lost chips because of this. All auction house sales from rollover to the incident have been credited to the seller (without auction house fees), which I think is the big thing.

Unfortunately, I may not be able to do much beyond that. If you have hard evidence of some other financial transaction which indicates money you should have, I'll replace it. I draw the line at anything under 2000 chips, or anything without hard evidence. I'm simply not going to be able to hand out money based on hearsay.

I'm really sorry about any confusion, trouble, or loss this may have cost anyone. This is about as good as I could get it back the way it's supposed to be.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Issue fixed.