Summer's wrapping up, time for a Podcast Thread

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Kinak
Site Admin

Summer's wrapping up, time for a Podcast Thread

Post by Kinak »

It's been brought to my attention that we haven't had a podcast thread in a while. Which is usually why I start a new podcast thread... hence this thread.

So, if you have any questions about the game, life, recent content, old content, upcoming content, goats, or other livestock, fire away.

If you're not familiar with the format, here's a previous thread. Basically, ask questions, try to keep them short because I'll be reading them on air, and don't answer other people's questions or I'll get lost in the cross-talk.

I should mention that one of my upcoming projects is building a page that, among other things, should hold the podcast archive. That certainly won't be out for this podcast, but should be out for the next one.

Edit: Podcast is now up.

Cheers!
Kinak
Patojonas

Re: Summer's wrapping up, time for a Podcast Thread

Post by Patojonas »

1 - What stuff are you working on at the moment?

2 - How are the game's finances? Will there be advertising soon?

3 - Leagues - Its been a while since we got a new league foe, are there more planned to be released soon or only after the league store?
A few people in chat (me included) once discussed the idea of a walrus mutant as the next league villain, here's a link for inspiration on the beast lol. NSFW

4 - Frusion Foes. From past tea time records, Ryme intended to have them show up again in the future. Is that still up? I liked them, it was a funny mechanic that made them challenging even for high level players. I really want something to do with all the frusion collars, cat-tails and feathers from those tougher foes. Also, my EEK Meter is getting dusty :P

5 - Facial hair themed zone? Even pokemon has them, we can't fall behind! Look!

6 - How was your summer? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Patojonas on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZehduPikado

Post by ZehduPikado »

Are you working on some high level content (new areas, items, skills)?
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

*strums lute* Answer, answer, answer, answer... answer all the questions.

Back in a few with a podcast.

Cheers!
Kinak
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

And podcast!

Cheers!
Kinak
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

RKBrumbelow wrote:Just for the record it is brum (like 'rum' with a b on front) below (opposite of above). I blame my great great great (etc) grandparents. :lol:
Thanks! I'll try to remember, but am terrible with names.
RKBrumbelow wrote:And yeah, I found Talismaniac on Khal Thralkhar and Picked up Most interesting on Yawara shortly after Cris did. I thought maybe there was a badge for choosing every possible choice in the non-combat choice adventures, alas there seemed to not be, but it was fun trying it.
Heh, that would be fun. I try not to make badges that get harder over time, though, it's just sort of awkward.

So if I'd added something like that, it'd be all choices in one zone or a hundred choices total or the like.

Cheers!
Kinak
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

RKBrumbelow wrote:Oh, now you have me thinking about badge implementation. Since there are frequently multiple triggers on new badges, and given the issue of people getting close then abandoning the path because they think it leads nowhere, what about 'ribbons' and badge 'staging'
As a point of design philosophy, this doesn't really bother me. Which is to say, people not completing badges (particularly badges, because they have no in-game mechanics) is a feature, not a bug.

I actually really like having a backlog of cool things people can find. Occasionally I mean for something to be easy and it ends up being hard. That's annoying. But having things that are hard to discover in the game is something I like.

Which isn't to say incremental rewards, for a merit badge or otherwise, are bad. It's just not something I'd include unless I was intentionally making a specific badge easier.

Cheers!
Kinak
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

If you listened to the podcast, you probably heard me talking about rolling out a new homepage this week.

If you've been to the Twilight Heroes homepage before reading this, you've probably seen that's happened.

Cheers!
Kinak
Satan

Post by Satan »

I like it.
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

Looks....orangy :mrgreen:

All the other pages out there are still the same though.

Err, what happened to the "X heroes patrolling right now?"
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Patojonas wrote:Looks....orangy :mrgreen:

All the other pages out there are still the same though.
Yeah, I don't intend to make huge changes to the rest of stuff... although the "about twilight" page nobody ever looks at could use a revamp... possibly the new account page too.

In any case, I want to make sure I'm not going to have to change anything with the front page first before I start adjusting them.
Patojonas wrote:Err, what happened to the "X heroes patrolling right now?"
I must have removed it... and not noticed the entire time I was prototyping it and bouncing different reds off the dev team. Suffice it to say, it's not something I looked at a lot.

If there's a general public outcry, I can cram it back in there somewhere. If not, I'd rather keep as few things on the home page as possible.

Cheers!
Kinak
Satan

Post by Satan »

Personally I like that the counter is gone. It's kind of discouraging for new people who are wanting to play to see oh, there's only 10 or so people on. Maybe when there's a more steady player base it could come back out.
Leader of PFE league. If you wish to worship me, ask me about joining my secondary league Cult of Satan (the largest league in the game!).
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Satan wrote:Personally I like that the counter is gone. It's kind of discouraging for new people who are wanting to play to see oh, there's only 10 or so people on. Maybe when there's a more steady player base it could come back out.
Yeah, there's something to be said for that.

Admittedly, I personally find 10 people cozy. So who knows? :)

Cheers!
Kinak
TedDudz

Post by TedDudz »

On the topic of few people online at a time... I agree that it is cozy, but unfortunately there isn't much conversation among the few online, at least not in the starting chat channels. I find Satan's point more than sensible as well; additionally, on the bright side: few players means less bandwidth usage. :wink:

The above sentence is grammatically inferior, for which I apologize.
Purveyor of justice and chocolate chip cookies. :-)
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Okay, as mentioned in the podcast, there's now a place to listen to all the podcasts.

On the topic of coziness, for anyone who might be reading this without having listened to the podcast: the reason the home page came up is because we're going to be starting advertising and I didn't want to do that with a site that didn't really shout what the game is about. So, my anti-social tendencies aside, it's something the dev team and I are taking quite seriously.
TedDudz wrote:The above sentence is grammatically inferior, for which I apologize.
You made perfect sense, which is what counts :)

Cheers!
Kinak
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

...even if one of those threats is a giant snake that insists on being called Anna Conda.
This bit here is a nice touch ;)

Would be great if you could pick up 3 or 4 more to rotate in here, like the text in that box right below ;)
Spoiler: show
pity we don't have an Hiphopopotamus or a Rhymenoceros :P
Kinak
Site Admin

Post by Kinak »

Patojonas wrote:This bit here is a nice touch ;)
Patojonas wrote:Would be great if you could pick up 3 or 4 more to rotate in here, like the text in that box right below ;)
That might actually make for a fun contest.

Although I did pick out my favorite four for fliers a while back, so I might see if I can work them in.

Cheers!
Kinak
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

I quite like the Tina Turner one.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Patojonas

Post by Patojonas »

Kinak wrote:That might actually make for a fun contest.
We love contests and contest rewards, bring it! :mrgreen: