Cris does stupid stunts!

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Cristiona

Cris does stupid stunts!

Post by Cristiona »

Okay, so I've done an all-item sandal-core, I've done sandomasocore, and I did a sub-30 hour, no donation item run. My next stunt will be a King of Armageddon run. Sadly, you can't buy chess pieces in a limited run, so this'll have to be a 5 pull run. I can't imagine what I'll be pulling, so... probably won't pull much. I'll try to avoid pulling gear because that's cheating! But I might pull Vortex to play with because it's shiny and new!

These goofy challenges are a lot of fun too, so feel free to suggest more. For what it's worth, my "standard" run is 17 points (no pull, points in class skills only, naturally hyper, sidekick must be recruited), and I'll try to keep as close to those as possible as challenges will allow.

Completed Stunts
  • All-items sandalcore
  • Sandomasocore
  • No IotM sub-30 hour
  • King of Armageddon run
  • Nommy's Contest (12 days, 108,732 chips)
  • Gadgeteer pseudo-maso
  • Sleepy Hero run
  • Gorilla Vest without being level 100+ or with broken FT coding
  • Human run
  • Filthy Hippy run

Current Stunt
NONE! HAHAHAHAHAHA! I'M TAKING IT EASY, SUCKERS!

Stunts in Queue
  • Passive-Aggressive run
  • True sandomasocore!
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Cristiona

Re: Cris does stupid stunts!

Post by Cristiona »

Well... I kind of did that with sandomasocore, but this should actually be a bit easier, since it allows me to use something more useful than sandals. But... sure, I could put it on the list.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

What a terrible day one; didn't even hit level 4. Thanks to not paying attention, I spent way more time in the Neighborhood than I should have. Still, seem to be surviving. 0 point Starfish is helping a lot by keeping me healed as long as I finish combat in a single turn. Any long and the psychic damage eats into my HP. However, "End it with Fire" annihilated John Steele in a single shot, which was handy.

Day 1 pulls: King, Vortex Suit, Vortex Cycle, Posi computer, GigantoFirm softwear. I was going to try to avoid pulling donation items, but... feh. I got the pulls, I might as well use them.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Healing is very important this run, it seems. I might pull more slouches as the chubby bunny is stupid-useful. Other than that, just more plodding along. Pulled a second posi, Garcia's, a slouch, a chest, and a couch.

Pretty fun so far, just a little rough since I have to keep an eye on the HP so closely. However, the King's special attacks have been very helpful against bosses as well as when fighting above my level, like when I was trying to unlock villains at level 4.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Still trucking along. Not much to report.

So far, the biggest detriment from the King has been the psychic damage per round of combat; I've had to spend a lot of time healing, and lately, my slouches have been very stingy with the chubby bunnies. And on razor doves. Seriously, I've gotten two this whole run. What the hell?

Anyway, the -25% HP isn't too horrible. As a level 8 psion, I have 72 HP (temporarily boosted to 92 because of my atmos spear). Of course, I suppose the steelbreaker is saving me from a lot of the pain. Ah well.

The Fire and Ice powers continue to be useful as I used Fire on the Demiurge (after wasting an Ice) and then used both in combination with combat items and called lightning when adventuring above my level. I had to save Darkness for the Octotron, but I didn't reach him today. Oh well. Tomorrow for sure; I'm already in the inner Sanctum.

Current status:

Strength: 84 (71)
Intellect: 75 (62)
Reflexes: 33 (25)

To-hit ability: 92
Dodge ability: 106.8
Offensive power: 66
Defensive power: 229 (Have I mentioned how much I love Battle Armor? 38 of this is from BA alone!)

Hit Points/Max: 92/92
Power Points/Max: 30/118

XP: 16,267

Ponderous dove, 60 min [dismiss]
Green Globulin - 26.34 minutes
Stealth - 83.81 minutes
Aura: Repulsive Magnetism - 83.81 minutes
Aura: Keen Observation - 246.52 minutes
Armadillo Armor - 274.02 minutes
Ant's Strength - 296.75 minutes

Seppia's cephalopod skullcap
Atmos Spear (shortened)
Vortex suit
Jill's elegant gloves
Spring-Heeled Jack's boots
Stainless Steelbreaker
Gwneuthurwr Deganau's hunllef puzzle
supersolid mettle medal
King of Armageddon
Vortex cycle

No, it's not optimal. But I don't care. Nyah.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

OCTOTRON! RAWR!

Well... or not. Endless handkerchief, black hole star, then:
Blackness descends. You don't know how long it lasts, or what it does, but when it lifts your foe has nearly met their end. At best guess you'd say they took 134 damage.

You are blasted by your psychic equipment and take 2 psychic damage.

A long pair of crackling whips slide out of your suit's wrists, slashing at your foe for 3 (electric) damage.

Victory! You beat up your foe and win the combat!
I can't wait to try it on the Mick!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Hey Mick! Take that!
Blackness descends. You don't know how long it lasts, or what it does, but when it lifts your foe has nearly met their end. At best guess you'd say they took 225 damage.
Also, I finally got some freaking doves:
At your command, your razor dove swoops at your foe, slicing them several times for 63 damage before flying away to where ever razor doves come from. Perhaps it's part homing pigeon, too.

You are blasted by your psychic equipment and take 2 psychic damage.

You gain 730 experience.

You got an item: blue chip
Yay.

All in all, it wasn't too bad. Basically, the stuff I've said at the beginning was still true. Of course, I almost killed myself against the Mick because I wasn't paying attention to psychic damage; was whittled down to 4 HP before I noticed and used a drowsing rod to save my stupid ass. Closing numbers, in case anyone cares:

Strength: 84 (79)
Intellect: 87 (82)
Reflexes: 42

To-hit ability: 119
Dodge ability: 143.1
Offensive power: 76
Defensive power: 242

Hit Points/Max: 2/100
Power Points/Max: 126/144

Time Played This Run: 1d 18h 25m 39s (heh, almost whirlwind speed!)

Days This Run: 6

Premonition: 10
Mind Jab: 0
Wind Warrior: 0
Aura: Keen Observation: 10
Knit Bone: 8
Meditation: 10
Electronic Understanding: 0
Aura: Mental Magnetism: 10
NardoLoopa

Post by NardoLoopa »

For the record, you can Hammock all the way to lvl 11 and still be under retcon restrictions for 2 more hours and 45mins . . . and 30 seconds.

Lazycore in the house.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

That... almost sounds fun!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Hm. Perhaps instead of Hammockcore, I should do Camp Camping Campcore.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Thorak wrote:Heh, over 42h with access to IOTM alone should probably prove that the king is rather weak (not to mention it is considered a stunt just to play with it).
Considering the number of people unable to reach 40 hours when using whatever talisman they want, and considering I was hardly using optimal items, I don't really see it as an indictment of the King.
The only really useful ability is the added ice damage on hits.
Blackness and Fire both helped against overleveled foes and bosses.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Honestly, I don't ever design talismans to be "good." I tend to think of them as double-edged swords designed to be interesting based on their strength and weaknesses.

In my mind the king should be "interesting" because it's hard to get. Not any more beneficial than any other talisman (excepting the starting ones, which are pretty weak).

The XP is an interesting idea, but I think it's too early to make any adjustments, even if we eventually decide that's the way to go.
Nommy

Post by Nommy »

Cris, we've got a challenge.

Chuwenhsuan has defined the Human Run as one where you cannot use skills at all. For passives, you just don't put in skill points, and obviously this is a run of honor, since no one can watch you in combat. But it's an interesting idea.

There's also the possible restriction of only being able to equip clothes or cars without enchantments. Adding on this would mean that the Understudy is okay, since it would be necessary to get to Hyde.

Up for it~?
Harry Dresden

Post by Harry Dresden »

Remember kids ---- DON'T DATE CRAZY CHICKS!!!
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Nommy wrote:There's also the possible restriction of only being able to equip clothes or cars without enchantments.
Don't think that'll work. I don't think there's any unenchanted vehicles with enough range. The hot rodimus and the moped are the only non-rentals without enchantments. Rodimus is level 15, so that's not gonna work and moped is range 3. Unenchanted equipment might be doable, though; excepting level 6.
Adding on this would mean that the Understudy is okay, since it would be necessary to get to Hyde.
Well, you have to get the sidekick as a part of 9, but you don't have to use her. On my no-IotM sub-30 run, I never used my sidekick.
Nommy

Post by Nommy »

The Understudy is necessary because it has the Mechanic, so you can ride your moped to Hyde and the Desert.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Uh-huh. And how do I use the mechanic to get to Hyde when she's been kidnapped? :P

I could use aerodynamic vehicle, but that violates the no-skills part.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

If that's the only thing stopping this, I'd be willing to add a no-frills range-4 to the car dealership. Never let it be said I stand in the way of stupid-fun.
Nommy

Post by Nommy »

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease?

Stupid Understudy, getting kidnapped too far away for me to save her. >>
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ryme wrote:If that's the only thing stopping this, I'd be willing to add a no-frills range-4 to the car dealership. Never let it be said I stand in the way of stupid-fun.
Ooo! It could be... um... er... a used minivan?
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

So... this would be a lot of "...except for" things.
  • No combat skills
  • No buffs
  • No skill points in passives
  • Unenchanted equipment only
    • Except for water-breathing for non-elems
    • Except for super-jumping for NCI
    • Except for sandals for sewer
Now then, what about item-based buffs (like squidopus ink), computer buffs (like Garcia's), combat items, and sidekicks.

Personally, I think combat items will be all but required for the Mick. With using no buffs, no bonus equipment, and no combat skills, you'll need a way to delevel him, or else you won't be able to beat him without some insane combination of crits for you and fumbles for him. I'm leaning against item-based buffs; computer should be fine, and sidekick should be limited to roles learned from the college.
Last edited by Cristiona on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Good catch
Isladar

Post by Isladar »

Well, it seems to me that if Ash got to use *his* boomstick, you should be able to use yours.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ooo... good point! :D
xKiv

Post by xKiv »

Cristiona wrote: [*] Unenchanted equipment only
  • Except for water-breathing for non-elems
  • Except for super-jumping for NCI
[/list]
And certain sandals?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

minivan installed!
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

It's modeled on a late-80s Dodge Caravan that I used to drive. I took good care of it when I was the driver, but a younger sibling trashed the heck out of it.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Okay, started the psuedo-sandalcore. Gadgeteer, no pulls, no permed skills, sidekick from the beginning, +caffeine, +sugar.

Forgot how annoying no gear was. Probably going to end up having my one piece of equipment be whatever piece of clothing has the highest defense. Right now, that's sadly a spooked credo. Sidekick's gonna bounce around depending on what I need at the time; either International Agent (his items and healing), Majestic Nobel (PP restore once I have 1st Aid again), or the Smuggler for blocking.

NCI's gonna suck with no inta-kill skill like the other three classes. At least I can drink coffee and have sugar to make this as brief as possible.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ugh. Limited item runs are so annoying. Still, I'm getting back into the swing of things, and being able to use something besides sandals makes it a lot easier. Day 3:

Equipment: Midnight's Cloak (dodge is vital)
Vehicle: Lexura (PP is also important)
Talisman: Lug-nut (only thing I've found, but I'll probably end up using a Paradox Naught)

Consumption: Mostly it's been cups of coffee and gumballs, but I managed a pair of (slightly purified) Snackers and I bought three Turkish Coffees as well; yum.

Sidekick: As expected, it's been rotating between Smuggler, Nobel, and Agent. Agent appears to be my default, and I switch to the Nobel to top up buffs if the zone is weaker than my dodge, and the Smuggler if it's tougher than my dodge, or I really need a specific item (ie: capo key). Honestly, the Agent's attack has been just as helpful as his healing. I really like him.

Computers: After a dearth of memory tubes in the City, I built a computer, only to have the security orbs drop everything I needed for a second. Once I finish juggling codes, I'll have Giganto, Garcia, and MacRuff's, which should carry me the rest of the way.

Level 6 Gadgeteer Hero

Strength: 44 (45)
Intellect: 26
Reflexes: 48

To-hit ability: 80
Dodge ability: 66
Offensive power: 1
Defensive power: 41

Hit Points/Max: 64/76
Power Points/Max: 20/54

XP: 7,145 Chips: 4,586
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Well, I've made it to NCI, and now I'm languishing and trying to find a damn paperclip. And being pounded repeatedly by stupid employees.

Level 10 was a complete nightmare. You Natty-haters like to complain about Trample missing and stuff, but at least it has a bonus to hit and bonus damage. Try going through the caves punching with your bare fist. When every combat takes 10+ rounds, it's really easy to get your ass kicked. Anyway, I managed to survive it and thankfully only had to endure three caves because I just ran from everything in the badlands until I had all the non-combats. I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do about the Mick, though.

Level 11 Gadgeteer Hero

Strength: 58 (59)
Intellect: 57 (52)
Reflexes: 96 (91)

To-hit ability: 130
Dodge ability: 110
Offensive power: 42
Defensive power: 111

Hit Points/Max: 102/128
Power Points/Max: 13/99

XP: 40,417 Chips: 16,042

Shirt: pseudo-chitin armor
Talisman: Lug-Nut Keychain
Transport: Lexura Infinides D-8

Endurance: 0
Stun Gas: 0
Upgrade Armor: 10
Basic Martial Arts: 10
First Aid: 10
Sugar Purifier: 0
Upgrade Weapons: 6
Metal Detector: 10
Advanced Martial Arts: 0
Aerodynamic Vehicle: 0
Improved Tinkering: 0
Electric Net: 9
Passable Pilot: 10
Heroic Efficiency: 10
Nostronomically Hardened: 10

I picked up pilot for the level 10 quest since I wasn't going to give up my shirt for high-jump boots to speed up the second section, so I took Ned's Chopper instead.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Sheej. Finally. After 64 rounds of combat:

You attack ... you don't have time for anything fancy, so you just slug them as hard as you can. In this case, that's 24 +1 +1 +1 damage.

Yes. 64 rounds of combat. That was about 10 or 15 rounds of stun gas, a couple electric nets, 2 combat paperclips, 2 ichors, 1 fire bladder, 2 power paks, 3 or 4 rounds of first aid, 5 webbed sands, several rounds using Justin's Magic Wand (of all things) or additional healing, and then a lot of punching. Basically, I got really lucky on stun gas stunning, which let me weaken the Mick until he was only rarely hitting, and even then for not much. By the time I was done with the sand, he could only hit on a crit, and even then it was only 20 damage. So, yeah. Got really lucky against him. Was only my 3rd or 4th try, too. Of course, considering it took something in the neighborhood of 30 janitors to get my first paperclip, I was owed some damn luck.

So, final stats-n-stuff:

Level 11 Gadgeteer Hero

Strength: 58 (59)
Intellect: 52
Reflexes: 91

To-hit ability: 130
Dodge ability: 115
Offensive power: 42
Defensive power: 111

Active Effects
I Can See My Face - 29 minutes
Living Penlights - 29 minutes
Upgrade Weapons: Self Balancing
Upgrade Armor: Resistance

Shirt: pseudo-chitin armor
Talisman: Lug-Nut Keychain
Transportation: mysterious machine

Endurance: 0
Stun Gas: 0
Upgrade Armor: 10
Basic Martial Arts: 10
First Aid: 10
Sugar Purifier: 0
Upgrade Weapons: 6
Metal Detector: 10
Advanced Martial Arts: 0
Aerodynamic Vehicle: 0
Improved Tinkering: 0
Electric Net: 9

Base run value: 5 points
Pulls: None, 5 points
Skills: No permed skills remembered, 5 points
Food: Both caffeine and sugar, 0 points
Sidekick: Sidekick with you from the beginning, 0 points

Time Played This Run: 3d 4h 40m 0s
Days This Run: 9
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

NardoLoopa wrote:For the record, you can Hammock all the way to lvl 11 and still be under retcon restrictions for 2 more hours and 45mins . . . and 30 seconds.

Lazycore in the house.
Yup, and it's up next! Except, it seems the RNG swing gives vastly more XP, so I'll be using those. I've already bought a couple hundred to use. It'll be a low-mettle run because... well... seems kinda dull, so I'll do this to speed it up. All items, full caff and sugar, class skills only, no sidekick. Also, I'll lazy all the way to 11 before starting quests.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Doing sleepy hero. Yawn. Made it to level 9 so far, with 1135 XP to go until level 10. Sadly, I'm running low on swings, so I'll have to switch to the hammock soon. Good thing I started on a Frayday, as it's noon.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Done with sleepy. It... well... meh. Not much of a challenge, really. Basically just a standard all-item run with a goofy start.

3 days
39h 45m 50s
8 mettle

Huh. Sub 40. Granted, I red-eyed all of NCI and most of the level 8 and 10 quests, but that was more because I wanted to finish on day 3, as opposed to waiting another day. I'm going to do a couple of my "standard" 17 mettle runs until doing the normal human run. I'll do the human run either as a Naturalist or as a Gadgeteer.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

I'll do my human run soon enough, but decided to get another Gorilla Vest. This one'll take awhile.