db optimization

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

db optimization

Post by Ryme »

As a note, I just did a bunch of DB optimization stuff. Ideally things will either be slightly faster or unaffected. If anyone sees errors or thinks things are noticeably worse, please let me know.

This is step 2 of about 8 things I'm going to try to do over the next few weeks to improve performance, which seems to take a bit of a hit right around rollover.
Ryme
Site Admin

Re: db optimization

Post by Ryme »

Initial reports are that emptying deep storage has significantly improved speed, so this may actually be working.
Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro »

I don't know if this related, but using *ouch items is noticeably faster.
Kinak wrote:Curse you its and it's! Curse yoooooooooou!
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I'm going to assume the earlier one was fine, or we would have seen errors by now.

I made another quick change right at rollover. Please let me know if you see any weird things in the next couple of hours. Slowness or errors, mostly.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Omigawd.

Emptying storage took, like, 3 seconds! Wow!
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

Yeah, it's much quicker! GJ Ryme.
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
Muhandes

Post by Muhandes »

In Hebrew we call this "Taking the goat out". It involves a long story with a Rabbi and a goat, I'm sure you don't want to hear.

Anyway, GJ, the game really is much faster.

The one thing that really is still way too slow for me is loading pages with tons of images. The obvious is my MD which locks the game for a minutes or two, but also my inventory. I'd love a "no images" option.
Strlikecrazy

Post by Strlikecrazy »

Muhandes wrote:The one thing that really is still way too slow for me is loading pages with tons of images. The obvious is my MD which locks the game for a minutes or two, but also my inventory. I'd love a "no images" option.
Auto-sell some stuff? :D
Buying Stainless steelbreaker, n-barrelled shotgun and Seppia's cephalopod skullcap. Pm me here or ingame!
Jick

Post by Jick »

Holy crap.

Do you mind going into some detail about what you did?
Corrupt Shadow

Post by Corrupt Shadow »

He installed dBase Optimizer v2.1.5.6

*Please note that this software does not really exist. This post was made in fun.
I've won the 100k DD bet so many times, I should have the title "Mr. Luck"
Jesus

Post by Jesus »

Strlikecrazy wrote:
Muhandes wrote:The one thing that really is still way too slow for me is loading pages with tons of images. The obvious is my MD which locks the game for a minutes or two, but also my inventory. I'd love a "no images" option.
Auto-sell some stuff? :D
Yeah. After every run, I spend a lot of time MDing things for my collection and things that might be useful later on in an all-pull scenario, then Recyclonize most of the other stuff into TNT just to keep the inventory manageable.
Jesus (#229) | Solitude (#257)